Conversion kits

M Hickley

Anyone know where you can get a set like this locally for a good price? Some of the guys ar just too steep, but too lazy to try make it up myself.

I don't have a SS but I think the cogs like that can not be good for the freewheel body. Extremely small contact area with the body. I thing something like this is better.

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product_images/Medium/CSGU6;Warehouse;Warehouse.jpg

I have found that with the 2 large spacers it could give you a less than perfect chainline - rather use a bunch of thinner spacers - like this: Single speed kits

Now if only people would bring this kinda stuff in locally at good prices, so we could actually suport the local suppliers...

I use an 18 and a 16 from an old 8 speed 'casette' as they used to be called in my day ..... bit 'tougher' ;)

Now if only people would bring this kinda stuff in locally at good prices, so we could actually suport the local suppliers...

I have bought from velosolo, got very good service from them. I have since found http://www.singlespeed.co.za/. Heard good things about them but yet to try them out.

I used a firefly kit on my last single speed and am using another one now with no issues.

I don't have a SS but I think the cogs like that can not be good for the freewheel body. Extremely small contact area with the body. I thing something like this is better.

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product_images/Medium/CSGU6;Warehouse;Warehouse.jpg

I have the Gusset version of that with a load of the plastic cassette spacers that I "liberated" from a bunch of old cassettes I had lying around. Result: perfect chainline.

Try either www.singlespeed.co.za or www.planet-x-bikes.co.za for singlespeed stuff. I have ordered from both and have had no issues.

I have the Gusset version of that with a load of the plastic cassette spacers that I "liberated" from a bunch of old cassettes I had lying around. Result: perfect chainline.

I did the same, used an old 11 and lock ring and Bob's your uncle (not TNT1 I hope though ...)

I intend to grind the teeth off the 11 so it looks 'smoother' .....

I have the Gusset kit with a combo of cassette spacers...doesn't look that clean, but my chainline's perfect.

post-19617-0-72500100-1311838927.jpg

I did the same, used an old 11 and lock ring and Bob's your uncle (not TNT1 I hope though ...)

I intend to grind the teeth off the 11 so it looks 'smoother' .....

Yeah I agree, one should not expose kid's to uncles like Bob.

I have bought from velosolo, got very good service from them. I have since found http://www.singlespeed.co.za/. Heard good things about them but yet to try them out.

For what it's worth, I too can vouch for the singlespeed chaps - Jerrard was very knowledgeable and it didn't take too long to get my stuff through them... thumbup1.gif

For what it's worth, I too can vouch for the singlespeed chaps - Jerrard was very knowledgeable and it didn't take too long to get my stuff through them... thumbup1.gif

+1 on that, they were great help and got everything I wanted :thumbup:

I went with the gear clamp they have on their website - I get tired quickly :unsure: