Brake pads for Avid Juicy 7

MTBmofo

So I go the the bike shop to buy some new brake pads for my Juicy 7's, expecting to pay about R200. I see that they have the original Avid pads at R200 and a generic brand at R70. I don't like to f*ck around when it comes to stopping, so i'm all ready to pay the R200. But i ask the dude at the shop who reckoned that the Cheapies were jsut as good - so i got them. Been riding twice since then and they seem fine.

Anyone else had a similar experience - or anyone know if there is a reason I should be spending R200 instead of R70? In fact, now that I think of it, last time I bought pads (about 5 months ago) another shop recommended a generic set that cost the same as the Avids!

Now i'm really confused!

Yo mtbmofo - I also have juicy7's... thought I'd try the aligator route... @ R70 a pair. Works fine, and lasts just as long (recently replaced my rear pads after 18months)...

Ja,it looks like i'll only be using the cheap ones now! they called protrek or something can't remember.

I've bought Clarkes generics for my Avid Juicy and my Hayes Stroker Trails. Paying about R65 after VAT from CRC.

And yeah, both variations have worked great. I'm gonna need replacement pads for my Furmula Oro Puros soon... will also go the generic route as I don't really like the brakes so spending more than R100 on pads is over-capitalizing.

Oh, and as far as generics go... some are even better than the originals. Swissstop and EBC to name 2.

i have juicy 5's.just replaced the pads yesterday with same protek? ones.lasted me just on 1500 km with no problems.

• 9 months later...

I see this is a old thread, but where can i get some of those R70 (prob a bit more now) brakepads for my juicy 5's.

Preferably order via email or online in sa... as i do not have a LBS.

Thanx

it's like lotsa things OEM: it's generic as generic gets. Some factory out there churns this stuff out: avid requests the highest levels of QC and believes it warrants the higher cost. The rest buy from the same manufacturer, slightly less QC and they charge less, but push higher volumes. I can live with that.