Long Flat MTB Route - Cape Town

Ian PR

Hi

I am new to the Hub so I hope this serves as an Intro and the route boffins can help....

We are doing the Karoo to Coast in September and need to do some long flat distance routes of round 100 Ks...

Does anbody know of or can suggest a route in the Cape Town, Stellenbosch area or surrounds etc ...

Ian

Edited by Ian PR

You won't get any flatter than Koeberg nature reserve. The loop is about 26km (?) so you could do that 4x to get to 100km...

As mentioned the K2C is very hilly, but it's all gravel. Best bet for training would to ride up and down the gravel roads at Tokai...

Enjoy the K2C, scenery is fantastic! :thumbup:

You won't get any flatter than Koeberg nature reserve. The loop is about 26km (?) so you could do that 4x to get to 100km...

As mentioned the K2C is very hilly, but it's all gravel. Best bet for training would to ride up and down the gravel roads at Tokai...

Enjoy the K2C, scenery is fantastic! :thumbup:

Mast ride :thumbup:

Hmmm...

Did the 25 at Koeberg a couple of weeks ago... fast and flat....so it looks like x4

Tokai is a haul all the way up .....then I look at that mast & it looks at me and I take the Silvermine route.....went up there once in very cloudy weather - eep it was cold - feet were still frozen with no feeling when we got back down to the parking lot....

going to do the 42 in The Burger MTB tomorrow ....

We have been told that even though there is a Nett Downhill in the K2C you always seem to be going Uphill!!

Ian

Edited by Ian PR

Mast ride :thumbup:

Do it twice and you will become a machine!!

Also try Bottelary Hills, if you do all the routes you it is about 50km....do it twice, there is also hills which is very nice as well as some technical sections

K2C has a nasty bite at the end when you climb from the Pump up to Simola.Forget about the nett Downhill, it won't seem like that when you get into the valley at De Vlugt and climb out the other end.

Focus more on the distance training so you don't konk out with 30km to go. Train on all the usual trails and do them twice if you have to.

You dont want to train on a flat course when your route profile is going to look like this:

(About 1650m ascent)

post-615-0-43724900-1311936503.jpg

You will soon learn that "flat" and MOUNTAIN biking does not get used in the same sentence! :lol:

The Durbanville route sounds like a good one.... do yo have any details of it?

One of the ideas that came to mind was to head out Durbanville way, get on a dirt road and just pedal (track the route with a GPS)

We have being doing mostly hill work but need some distance which you dont really get at Tokai and up Majik Forest way

Ian

Edited by Ian PR