Kings Kloof .... my 2c

L.T.G

A long long time ago in a land far far away (Krugersdorp) a Samoan prop called The Magalies Monster met a beautiful Russian gymnast called Van Gaalen's Concrete Road&Dagga Pad (i know it's a weird name, but aren't all Russian names weird?!?) and they really got on well... so well in fact that they had a child and this child, they called, Kings Kloof.

Kings Kloof had the aggression and intimidation of The MM and the finesse and rhythmic flow of the VGCRDP (if you read this, it sounds Russian and all makes sense :D)

I got to meet Kings Kloof today.....and about time!

Being a Krugersdorp boy, it was long overdue.

I spend as much of riding as possible at Van Gaalens and am often weary of trying new places because if it's k*k then I've wasted VG time....

well, i definitely didn't waste any riding time today.

I must've missed out on a bit of the black route as i only got around 17km, but they were not 17 easy kms. they were definitely 17 FUN kms!

my HR average was 87% and that was with stopping quite a bit to take in the surroundings and try familiarize myself with the place.

I'd definitely recommend KK to anyone that's comfortable with technical routes. just prepare to max your HR on the uphills and more then likely red line yourself on the downhills (respect them!)

congrats to Delwyn & Dean on a job well done.

I'll be back!

Edited by L.T.G

Jip, the only proper MTBing in JHB in my book. I spend about half the time in granny blade..

Would love to know what the poefter 2x10 29er JHB crowd makes of the place...

In fact, let this be a warning: I've you suffer from 29er marketing delusion and went as far as parting with tons of buck as to not be left behind, AVOID Kings Kloof at all cost!!! It will be a rude awakening.

You've been warned. Stick to the dead boring magalies district roads..

Jip, the only proper MTBing in JHB in my book. I spend about half the time in granny blade..

In fact, let this be a warning: I've you suffer from 29er marketing delusion and went as far as parting with tons of buck as to not be left behind, AVOID Kings Kloof at all cost!!! It will be a rude awakening.

Oh really? .... Must've done something wrong then, had the best fun in ages! :drool:

Kings Kloof is brill, the new bridge and trail sections criss crossing the river are a blast!! :thumbup:

Edited by danger dassie

Hey! They are not all boring!

Exactly where is the entrance for King Kloof cos I checked it out last week on maps.google and according to their co-ords it's a Farm Stall next to the main road... no where to enter. Seems like you park just next to the main road on a grass patch behind the stall. Is that correct?

I did van Gaalen's in May and really enjoyed it & would like to do KK.

Exactly where is the entrance for King Kloof cos I checked it out last week on maps.google and according to their co-ords it's a Farm Stall next to the main road... no where to enter. Seems like you park just next to the main road on a grass patch behind the stall. Is that correct?

I did van Gaalen's in May and really enjoyed it & would like to do KK.

According to their website, you are correct! see Kings Kloof directions

damn knew this day would come when the word would get out. i love the place first time i rode it it was pissing down and my riding partner and i were the only ones there. scared the **** outta ourselves as the wet downhills were a case of point and hope haha. since then its been our little oasis. we have told and taken as few people about it as possible. i know its greedy but KK is just to good to let everyone know and be ruined by "wobblers" going the wrong way. the one saving grace is you gotta earn your entrance into KK. we have lost many riding partners to the first 3km climb into the actual valley. so beginners be warned cuase it only gets tougher.

FYI rode in there on my 26" spez with XO 2X10 no problem and gonna give my SS a go in there on sun.

damn knew this day would come when the word would get out. i love the place first time i rode it it was pissing down and my riding partner and i were the only ones there. scared the **** outta ourselves as the wet downhills were a case of point and hope haha. since then its been our little oasis. we have told and taken as few people about it as possible. i know its greedy but KK is just to good to let everyone know and be ruined by "wobblers" going the wrong way. the one saving grace is you gotta earn your entrance into KK. we have lost many riding partners to the first 3km climb into the actual valley. so beginners be warned cuase it only gets tougher.

FYI rode in there on my 26" spez with XO 2X10 no problem and gonna give my SS a go in there on sun.

I have not seen anyone there yet on a SS how did it go ? :blink:

Its a great place and only a 15km ride from my house so its perfect :)

felt the same way when we did our epic Wolkberg trip in Tzaneen... unspoilt beauty etc.

KK will be a walk in the park for me... cos nothing is too technical. I'll probably do it on my back wheel alone :lol: I'll even take it on with my 200Kg Adventure bike :D or anything on 2 wheels.

Sure, go and give it a bash on your SS! Did it in June on my Peace 9r SS - will really hone your technical skills! Here and there a quick walk up some steep rocky sections, but otherwise a blast!

L.T.G - I think it's all that Russian talk pushing up your HR :P

Sure, go and give it a bash on your SS! Did it in June on my Peace 9r SS - will really hone your technical skills! Here and there a quick walk up some steep rocky sections, but otherwise a blast!

L.T.G - I think it's all that Russian talk pushing up your HR :P

you're right!

but nowhere close to as much as trying to keep up with you on your SS! blink.gif

I'm seriously considering converting my old hardtail to an SS! unsure.gif