MTN Bike park vs Groenkloof

Witkop

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more MTB "Better"?

• Mtn Bike Park
    • Groenkloof and Fountains

Did my first bike park ride. First reflection is that the bike park does require a few hours to dial into. THe berms are way to big and the flat trails have no berms but only walls. THe grading system is interesting, but the "technical" challenges of the black routes were less than expected. It seems that if there are short uphills, a possible hairpin bend and a drop off then is is black to uber black.

Okay some more crazy descriptions is that the MTN bike park is like drinking decaffinated espressos. Lost of whatever but no edge.

The comparison between Bike park and Groenkloof is that the Bike park is like downing two tots of grappa, and groenkloof is like drinking a magnum of Pinotage. THe first will be fast and intense and you can walk afterwards, the second takes more time but you know that you going to pay for it. Groenkloof is cycling with rocks in it......

They are two VERY different places...Cant really compare them.

The Bike Park is a great place to hone in some technical skills. Groenies - great place to put those skills to the test.

You cannot compare the two. Which is why I did not vote.

MTN bike park is a purpose built bike park, with challenges for all levels of skill.

Groenkloof is a wildlife reserve with mtb trails built in such a way that it minimises the impact on the eco system.

If you want to hone your skills, MTN bike park is the place to go, if you want to do a 4-5hour training ride, go do a few laps at Groenkloof.

The black routes at MTN bike park offer good technical challenges for most riders, and if you ride the black routes with a longer travel bike, it opens up a whole new dimension regarding speed and air time.

PS: If you go fast enough the berms are not really too big.

MTN bike park is a purpose built bike park, with challenges for all levels of skill.

Groenkloof is a wildlife reserve with mtb trails built in such a way that it minimises the impact on the eco system.

If you want to hone your skills, MTN bike park is the place to go, if you want to do a 4-5hour training ride, go do a few laps at Groenkloof.

The black routes at MTN bike park offer good technical challenges for most riders, and if you ride the black routes with a longer travel bike, it opens up a whole new dimension regarding speed and air time.

Haven't ridden at Groenkloof, but ride twice a week at the bike park because it's on the way home from work and is really convenient for a quick hour's ride in the middle of the week. More than an hour or so and it starts to get boring. The new loops that have just been cut are good and provide some more variety. In terms of the berms, they aren't too big at speed, but I prefer the flat corners to replicate the typical single track you would find in a race.

Edited by RedRover

Never ridden groenkloof due to a severe zebra allergy, but have unlimetd access membership at the bike park, so know it pretty well.

Like Stephan says... the bike park is for technical riding. Short bursts. Almost more of an XCO vs. XCM for the average rider.

But as was also mentioned... change the bike, and you have a very different experience. I ride there with either a 200mm DH bike or a 100mm 4X bike. Speed and airtime. And yeah, if you're pinning it... then some of the berms are actually a little small

Where is the box for "I love both"?

Pushed for an answer I prefer Groenies - it's better suited to my style of riding (endurance) plus it's more natural. Early morning when the sunlight glints through the trees in the parking lot just says "this is mountain biking".

Bike park is great for a quick spurt of technical training and/or some "follow my leader" but after an hour you've done every obstacle and boredom sets it.

Bike park has way better coffee!

Hmmm bike park is like a one night stand - Groenies is more making love to your wife :D