Riding at Golden Gate

Flippa

Morning all,

I'm going to be spending the upcoming long weekend at Golden Gate National Park (whoooohoooo!!!!) and was aware that there are trails in the area, if not in the actual park itself. I was wondering where I could find maps of the routes online and how user friendly they are, as I don't really want to drag my bike all the way there for little benefit.

Any help (or helpful hints) will be glady welcome.

IMO Golden Gate itself is more suited for road bike enjoyment. The only trails I know of originate from Kiara Lodge, just past the western gate. No real maps but you pay 10 bucks and "just follow that trail". It is fairly rugged and up/down, ideal trail riding if you know what you are doing. But I have seen a lot of novice riders there, mostly pushing. Otherwise you can start at Clarens and follow some of the MTN route around the back of the mountain, not sure about land access but I do remember that is fairly tough once you hit the mountains, with lots of dangerous rocky sections. I do not have a map of that route but you should be able to find a Garmin file somewhere on the ,net.

At Rebellie Game Farm there is a route over the mountain right into the the Caledon valley. You get back onto civilze roads about 30km on the road between Clarens and Fouriesburg, so it is quite far, but maybe somebody can pick you up.

Also try the tarred roads in the Park - quite steep sections, and nice scenery.

There is also a loop through Clarens, coming back on the Bethlehem side. I include a map.

post-1769-0-74907800-1312180328.jpg

I talked to a guy at the Adventure centre in Clarens during December 2010 and he said he was just finishing off some trails. May be go and ask there he could direct you.

Edited by Diepseun

According to Mapsource your plotted route is 88.2km. Half the route is gravel. I did it a while back on my 750 Africa Twin.