Entries Are Open for the Inaugural Msunduzi Road Challenge

Matt

Msunduzi Road Challenge logo.jpg

Entries Are Open for the Inaugural Msunduzi Road Challenge

Press Release: Cycling South Africa, 1 August 2011

01 August 2011– Entries open today (Monday 1 August 2011) for the inaugural Msunduzi RoadChallenge, the much anticipated inclusion intothe UCI World Cycling Tour (UWCT) taking place in October.

The uniqueconcept of this mass-participation road event serves a dual purpose by offeringenthusiasts an all-new road cycling challenge in the popular cycling hub ofPietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal, whilst at the same time offering seasonedcompetitors the opportunity to qualify for the one-off UWCT Final in 2012,previously known as the UCI Masters Road World Championships.

Pietermaritzburgwill be hosting the South African leg of this prestigious UCI-linked series,and Alexander Park has been established as the start/finish venue. Provisional route maps are uploaded and canbe viewed by visiting http://www.msunduzir...hallenge.co.za/.

Participantscan choose to enter the 180km, 111km or 90km distances, with the Time Trialdistance set at 27km. The online entryclosing date is set at 30 September 2011, and entries will be done throughCyclingSA’s website by visiting this link: http://csams.cyclingsa.com/msunduziroadchallenge.aspx.

Early birdentries will score as the first 2500 entries are guaranteed a sample bag! Late entrieswill be accepted until Friday 21 October, but will incur the additional nominalcharge of R50.

Event Information:

• Date: Saturday 29th October to Sunday 30th October 2011

• Venue: Alexander Park, Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal

• Distances and Age Categories: Road Race (Qualifiers for the UWCT Final must enter as per their age category below – recreational riders can enter any distance they wish)
    - Men – 16-29 / 30-34 / 35-39 / 40-44 / 45-49 = 180km
    - Men – 50-54 / 55-59 / 60-64 = 111km
    - Men – 65+ = 90km
    - Women – 30-34 / 35-39 / 40-44 / 45-49 = 111km
    - Women – 50-54 / 55-59 / 60-64 / 65+ = 90km

• Distance: Time Trial
    - All – 27km

• Entry Fees:
    - Road Race – R200 ($ 30.00 or € 25.00)
    - Time Trial – R120 ($ 20.00 or € 15.00)

• Start Times: To Be Confirmed

• Merchandise: Participants can purchase an exclusive commemorative event shirt together with their entry submission via the CyclingSA website - the shirt is to be collected at registration. The cost is R165.

Further detailed information about the Msunduzi Road Challenge can be found on theevent website by visiting http://www.msunduziroadchallenge.co.za.

For general event queries, contact Alec Lenferna at alec@realem.co.za, and for all entryrelated queries contact Tarryn Duncan at tarryn@cyclingsa.com.

UWCT_BANNER_PIETERMARITZBURG.gif