Riding up the tokai dh track . Again.

jimmy hardtail

Dont want to start another war of words but yesterday i saw 4 guys riding up the dh track in tokai. Up the big berm like a lot of people wrongly do, but then they crossed the road and rode UP the next level of dh track. This is very dangerous for everyone. If you saw how fast the guys were going down there on saturday you would crap yourself!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the energy spent hammering on keyboards about this we could have put up 20 foot no entry signs on every track by now.

What you guys must remember is that there are no signs in Tokai with regards to direction.

If you guys want to SPEED down the downhill routes then there should be more DH guys spaced evenly apart at each section(road gap) warning people/other cyclists of the DH riders coming down!!

This is NOT a bike park, everyone can ride freely BUT need to be informed and obey the rules.

I in particular ride 3/4 of the way up and rather turn right into the single track which is parallel to the berm amongst/behind some trees.

I have seen so many novice cyclists with their kids going up that entire section!!

Maybe install a sign at the point before the routes going up to the berm which states "no riding from this point forward, take alternative route."

Edited by david16v

you guys have it easy down there in Tokai! Come to Durbs and ride the giba DH between 3 and 5pm - you are guaranteed to have a near death experience by almost hitting either 4 guys walking home from work back to the township or a herd of cows that the lighties from the township are herding up the track! And signs and awareness campaigns do NOTHING!!!! You just gotta live with the fact that some people in this world are just STUPID!!!

I see your guys frustration.....remember there is loads of families etc...they don't know what is right or wrong as they do MTB for fun.....so they will always come up the single track even if they must walk...discuss this with the Tokai forestry or just mark the routes so people can actually see...

With all the energy spent hammering on keyboards about this we could have put up 20 foot no entry signs on every track by now.

I agree.

Once the signs are up, then you can whine about everyone riding up 'your' DH tracks.

I am not even a downhiller. I ride a hardtail ffs. What worries me is that there is gonna be a massive accident one day and the guys coming up are gonna be seriously hurt. Its only the , not my, 2 sections of dh track that is worrying. Notice how the dh guys dont ride down all the other single track. Or maybe i shouldnt give a s**t.

I see your guys frustration.....remember there is loads of families etc...they don't know what is right or wrong as they do MTB for fun.....so they will always come up the single track even if they must walk...discuss this with the Tokai forestry or just mark the routes so people can actually see...

what do you mean, there are people riding for fun out there...?

I am not even a downhiller. I ride a hardtail ffs. What worries me is that there is gonna be a massive accident one day and the guys coming up are gonna be seriously hurt. Its only the , not my, 2 sections of dh track that is worrying. Notice how the dh guys dont ride down all the other single track. Or maybe i shouldnt give a s**t.

Jimmy - why don't you put up some sign boards? I'll happily donate R100 for the effort - it will be worth it just to not see these threads any more!

I may even come to CT one day and ride these famed one way courses.

Guest Omega Man

What you guys must remember is that there are no signs in Tokai with regards to direction.

If you guys want to SPEED down the downhill routes then there should be more DH guys spaced evenly apart at each section(road gap) warning people/other cyclists of the DH riders coming down!!

This is NOT a bike park, everyone can ride freely BUT need to be informed and obey the rules.

There are signs. They are at the entrances to the trails and they clearly say Downhill 1 Downhill 2 and Downhill 3. And most of the people riding up the downhills are not novices. So please let's stop with the people don't know the rules bull***t. And yes. Downhillers do want to SPEED down the downhill. That's kind of what it's all about.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

I agree.

Once the signs are up, then you can whine about everyone riding up 'your' DH tracks.

There are signs at the entrances to the trails. And it's not about ownership it's about safety.

I ranted about this issue ages ago. There was a huge thread about it. I offered my own cash and time to put signs up. I agree that without signs, how are people meant to know??? If I'm a first time rider there, how must I know that the trail I'm riding up is a DH (the sign is at the TOP of the trail, plus it doesn't say ONE WAY ONLY).

Even the MTN bike park trails say one way only. It's a given. Now all I read on here are trail building days, and guys going off about this root, and that corner etc, but what about the basic stuff, like the issue of safety where people are riding up a DH line? What happened to these signs that were being put together? Pain or Shine (not sure who he is except for this avatar), any info? I guess we'll just have to wait until someone gets seriously hurt because of this negligence.

Just remember, I offered. I've a buddy who has a signage company and I offered to pay for this (even though we all pay to ride there). It's really pathetic to act only when something forces you to. This is an ongoing issue and there is no indication of a resolve. It's basically 4 signs. One at the bottom of Vasbyt, one at the next level, and one at the bottom of DH 2 & 3. 4 measly signs that could prevent someone getting seriously hurt. They could even be sponsored if the cost to dig the hole is too steep. I'll bet that bike shops will fight over sponsoring a sign that can have their logo on it. Lets rather wait until some rider going 50km/h+ fully connects an un-armoured kid on his way up.

I was there the other day, and also saw 3 riders going up the berm there.

Is there a governing body or similar that we can start writing letters to about this? Clearly we are getting nowhere with this route.

Edited by grb285

There are signs at the entrances to the trails. And it's not about ownership it's about safety.

There are signs. They are at the entrances to the trails and they clearly say Downhill 1 Downhill 2 and Downhill 3. And most of the people riding up the downhills are not novices. So please let's stop with the people don't know the rules bull***t. And yes. Downhillers do want to SPEED down the downhill. That's kind of what it's all about.

Exactly, SAFETY (you said it) so you cannot expect to SPEED down these trails without knowing that the trail ahead is clear!!!!!!

These signs say DH 1, DH 2, etc but they DO NOT SAY - ONE WAY!

I will continue to ride up these trails (between 6-8am on the Weekends & 6-8pm on week nights)

These trails dont belong to any group of cyclist, everybody is welcome!

I actually overheard someone complaining on Saturday morning in the Car park about some guy riding up that section and another fellow DH`er asking if he tuned this guy??!!!

This was at 9am, unfortunately the `novices` (aka t-shirt brigade) are already on the trails at this time.

I got stuck behind a father and son (8 years old) 2 weekends ago, I didnt tell the guy to hurry up, get off the trail, etc because there could be a superior DH rider coming soon to ride over us! I slowed down and actually got thinking that this was awesome father/son time and this little boy could be the next `Burry`!

So put ur EGO aside and just ride safe and cautiously!

Edited by david16v

I actually overheard someone complaining on Saturday morning in the Car park about some guy riding up that section and another fellow DH`er asking if he tuned this guy??!!!

This was at 9am, unfortunately the `novices` (aka t-shirt brigade) are already on the trails at this time.

I also wear a t-shirt when I ride. Does this make me a novice? :drool: Jokes aside, this whole idea of us having to run around policing the place reminds me of prefects at school. Most people ride up the DH not as an act of defiance, but because they have no idea that it's one way only. How would they know? There is no signage!

I got stuck behind a father and son (8 years old) 2 weekends ago, I didnt tell the guy to hurry up, get off the trail, etc because there could be a superior DH rider coming soon to ride over us! I slowed down and actually got thinking that this was awesome father/son time and this little boy could be the next `Burry`!
David, please try to get this chip off your shoulder about DH riders. It's not cool. I'm sure you are a cool guy, so no need to carry on about other styles of riding. Also, if you are at a trail park and you come up behind a slower rider you have no right to shout "track" or expect them to move, so your altruism there isn't really that justified. It's only in races that you can expect this. At the park, you wait. I often just pull off the trail and chill for a couple of minutes. We're all there to have fun, no?