Suspension fork service

brotherdarryl

As i have been using my mtb for a few years now and never serviced the fork, i was wondering how many fellow hubbers have serviced their own forks for their mtb's. If you have, would you do it again or just send it in to be done by the guys that do it every day? i dont have one with gas - i would imagine that would bring the expertise level down a bit.

I tried to service my Manitou Six after riding it for 5 years and couldn't unscrew the plastic compression rod from the fork lower - the plastic had become britte and it stripped. Managed to get the coil out though - everything inside was squeaky clean and well lubed, so I just put it back together again and am riding it til it breaks. Still works as nicely as the day I got it....

As i have been using my mtb for a few years now and never serviced the fork, i was wondering how many fellow hubbers have serviced their own forks for their mtb's. If you have, would you do it again or just send it in to be done by the guys that do it every day? i dont have one with gas - i would imagine that would bring the expertise level down a bit.

well i've never sent by fork in for a service have always done it myself, just make sure you work somewhere that if you open up the fork and something falls or shoots out, you can find it again and that it doesnt find a nice little hiding space, plus look on youtube and the manufacturers website, they generally have Assembly diagrams etc that really help when wanting to put everything back again.

the only down side of doing it yourself is you might not recognize the early signs of something going wrong till its way too late.

most simple services normally are only really a change of fork oil and a cleaning of the spring and sanctions, and checking for damage, nothing major really. only really becomes difficult when you need to change seals and bushings.

You could also keep a look out for one of the workshops occasionally offered by Johan Bornman - he posts details up here on the Hub...

Provided you're sure to get your hands dirty soonish after you've been, you'll get all the info/training you need - and never have to send it away again...

Very easy. I do mine and save about R350 a pop. When you should (according to manufacturers spec) service it every 50 hours, that adds up quite quickly. Its a Fox fork. I'm sure spring fork is even easier and could be done in your sleep

most simple services normally are only really a change of fork oil and a cleaning of the spring and sanctions, and checking for damage, nothing major really. only really becomes difficult when you need to change seals and bushings.

I sometimes hear a bit of a "rattle" when going over bumps, but not sure if thats more in the headset or in the fork (could be a bush int he fork). I want to service the fork as its never been done, then if the sound doesnt go away, i move onto the headset.

Took my Suntour Mag 32 air apart last week, gave it a good clean and replaced old oil with 5w oil (bought from motorbike shop at R90). Seals were cleaned and checked and replaced as they are fine. It made a difference but its still only a cheap fork so if you are good with tools then give it a go, its not that hard and theres lots of info online. Took me about 2 hours of mucking around but be warned it can be messy! You can clean and grease up your headset bearings as well.