Air pressure in non tubeless tyre

banna

I'm running a 2.1 Nevegal (non UST) at the back of my AM bike. I'm running it tubeless, but I'm scared to run it at too low pressure. I weigh 90kg, what do you reckon a safe minimum pressure would be, considering it's being used for AM riding? And again remember it's not a tubeless tire, so sidewalls not very strong.

I would go with 2 bar.

+1. I'm a 80kg rider and find anything below 2 bar and I start burping. Well the tyre starts burping.

+1. I'm a 80kg rider and find anything below 2 bar and I start burping. Well the tyre starts burping.

Hie hie. Ja, a friend of mine is running his tubeless Nevegal's at 2 bar at the back and he says the same. So I guess maybe add 0.2 bar for mine being non tubeless. Just looking for a bit more traction now in winter time when everything is wet and snotty.

I am 94 kg and pump my tyre at 2.2. At 2 bar my tyres tend to burp.Rude aren't they? :blush:

:D

Hie hie. Ja, a friend of mine is running his tubeless Nevegal's at 2 bar at the back and he says the same. So I guess maybe add 0.2 bar for mine being non tubeless. Just looking for a bit more traction now in winter time when everything is wet and snotty.

Ah yes - the magical number thats found somewhere between traction and burping!

I've found "grinding" points you in the right direction. You know that sound the tyre makes when you rail a corner and the tyre deforms enough to make a "grrrrrrr" noise? I call that grinding. If you're hearing that sound a few times on your ride without a burp then you've found nirvana!

On Conti Race King 29ers my nirvana is 1.9-2.1bar depending how gnarly or rocky the course is.

I've found "grinding" points you in the right direction. You know that sound the tyre makes when you rail a corner and the tyre deforms enough to make a "grrrrrrr" noise? I call that grinding. If you're hearing that sound a few times on your ride without a burp then you've found nirvana!

On Conti Race King 29ers my nirvana is 1.9-2.1bar depending how gnarly or rocky the course is.

No, my tyre hasn't growled at me yet, so I guess it's time to deflate that sucker. I find that my rear end is sliding out long before the front goes (resulting in a spectacular meeting with a tree a few weekends ago), so I'm gonna drop it by a bit and see what happens. Nothing to lose?

No, my tyre hasn't growled at me yet, so I guess it's time to deflate that sucker. I find that my rear end is sliding out long before the front goes (resulting in a spectacular meeting with a tree a few weekends ago), so I'm gonna drop it by a bit and see what happens. Nothing to lose?

Good luck!

You can also rn slightly lower pressure in the front because the shock will also reduce burping by soaking up the shock. As shocks do.

Assuming of course that you ride a HT.

Best of luck - you'll be amazed what spending an afternoon playing with pressure will do for your grip!

My Rubino (tubeless with thin sidewalls and i'm 90kg's) has the grinding on 2.2 rear. I would suggest for non-tubeless tubeless tyre to be at minimum 2.2 back and 2 in front. Thanks for the grinding message. I felt it this weekend and needed to give it a name. I think it also depends on rim width and wheel flex. My wheels are Fulcrum (25mm width). I also have 29mm wheelset 36 spoke that do not give the grrrrrr as easily