Slime in tyres

awesme

Hi there

Bought 2 bottles of slime, One for my Fiance's bike/with tubes and the 2nd bottle for mine, tubeless.

So as I read the instructions, remove cap, remove valve core, pour 1/2 bottle/4 oz into tyre, valve back, inflate, and basically spin to distribute.

Correct?

and whats peoples experience with the stuff?

(Had a look, there is nothing below product reviews yet).

G

personaly the only benefit I've had from slime is that the green stuff oozes out and makes it easy to spot the puncture.

Other than that... I don't put much faith in it.

I have had plenty of punctures (tubed wheels), I can understand that slime won't help when it comes to a snake-bite puncture... but even some that I would consider small... it hasn't helped.

But hey... maybe I'm just unlucky like that?!

Oh, and if you're not concerned about weight on your fiance's bike... get some tyre liners for it.

Since I have started riding with slimed tubes, I have not had a puncture due to thorns. I ride in thorny single track and when checking my tubes, I can have upto 10 thorns in my tyres without a puncture. Just a word of advice - make sure you always have enough slime in your tubes ie 4 oz. If you notice you have had a thorn puncture and lost some slime, top up. The easiest way is to buy a 100ml syringe from your chemist so that you know how much you are adding. If the puncture hole is big and leaking a bit of slime, put a patch on the tube. Buy the patches called 'Skab' they dont require glue and stick to your tube instantly. Great to use on a ride when you are in the bush. If you notice you have got a puncture and the slime starts coming out of your tyre, stop your bike and turn your wheel so that the puncture is touching the ground. This will allow asmuch slime as possible to collect at thge puncture and seal it quickly and dont forget to take at least 2 bonbs with you.

Hope this helps

Hi there

Bought 2 bottles of slime, One for my Fiance's bike/with tubes and the 2nd bottle for mine, tubeless.

Sorry, if your bike is tubeless, surely the tyres already has some sort of sealant in them?

I have used the "tubeless" slime for the past 5 years in my tubed tyres and have NEVER had a puncture. Often I will observe a small wet spot on one of my tyres where the slime has leaked through as it seals a hole, but that's it. I can recommend it for tubed tyres. I am going to try it in tubeless tyres sometime soon.

2007092514591044413_lrg.jpg

Edited by divernick

and whats peoples experience with the stuff?

I have ordinary tubed tyes (Maxxis Ardents) that I run with liners & the proper http://www.slime.com . My wheels might be a little heavier than the rest, but it is bullet proof! Won't find me without slime in the dirt.

Have used slime in the past and it's ok but there are better sealants out there. The problem I had with slime (admittedly a couple of years ago, it may have changed) is that it didn't have 'chunks' in it, so was not particularly effective at sealing bigger holes.

My current favourite is the Ryder sludge or slime or whatever it's called (it's full of chunks/fibres/bits and pieces). Costs about R40 at LBS and works like a charm. Used to do Bike4Beasts in Limpopo which was 64km of duiweltjie carpet. Tyres used to be covered in wet spots by the end of the race but always had sufficient pressure left to finish the race - and would slowly seal up over the next few weeks. There can be no better test for sealant than that race.

One thing I have learned is get water based sealants - the ammonia based sealants seem to cause tyres to delaminate over time - some a lot quicker than others. Water based sealants don't seem to do this.

All my kids' / wife / my bikes have sealant of some sort in. It's the only way to go.

Edited by davetapson

If you wanna have a care-free mtb experience, fill your tyres/tubes with Sludge Uni Seal....made in SA for SA conditions.

post-12004-0-59453500-1312349478.jpg

I must be using the wrong stuff......... My sealant didn't even seal 1 thorn hole....... I'm always getting punctures with them.......... ON THE ROAD. Went tubeless on my offroad wheels........ Did the Stan's conversion...... pretty awesome. Just waiting for my current tyres to go, then its tubeless on the training wheels too. But this slime stuff isn't working for me. :thumbdown:

I must be using the wrong stuff......... My sealant didn't even seal 1 thorn hole....... I'm always getting punctures with them.......... ON THE ROAD. Went tubeless on my offroad wheels........ Did the Stan's conversion...... pretty awesome. Just waiting for my current tyres to go, then its tubeless on the training wheels too. But this slime stuff isn't working for me. :thumbdown:

After I have had 2 punctures in 1 day, I decided that I will buy the tyres with sealant already in. And all systems go to date, I also added the tyre liners.

No sealant, I use those thick thorn proof tubes you buy at Game and tyre liners. Probably the same weight as using slime I should imagine but that slime is a pig once it gets into the valve, makes it difficult to use a hand pump on the tube. No punctures for well over 2000 odd K's now.

Will try tubeless in the new year once I can afford some new wheels.

No sealant, I use those thick thorn proof tubes you buy at Game and tyre liners. Probably the same weight as using slime I should imagine but that slime is a pig once it gets into the valve, makes it difficult to use a hand pump on the tube. No punctures for well over 2000 odd K's now.

Will try tubeless in the new year once I can afford some new wheels.

Yip those, tubeless conversions aren't cheap.

I went tubless...... Its the Bomb........ just gotta hold on with these tubes on the training wheels for now........ Maybe it will motivate me to do more training KM's........ lol

I believe in sealant if your not running tubeless like me. I only recently started getting punctures after more than 2 years (running OKO) in the same tubes. The difference between having sealant and not, is it takes longer to go flat and this allows you more time to get home safely.

I've slit my tubes with glass, pulled out monster thorns 30km from home, I've hit nails and the only time I had an immediate failure is when I hit something that caused 1cm puncture hole in my Town & Countries and went through the tube resulting in deflation and a snack bite.

• 3 weeks later...

Questions,

Slime= thick, gungy...

my valve = thin...

hmm, see problem.

how do i remove the valve core, it's of the smaller/thinner variety. not the same core's as per car tires that you just screw out with supplied tool.

G

First you must check if the valve has a removable core......... Not all of those tubes do.

Usually you can check with the eye. The tip of the valve will screw in and out of the rest of the valve.

If not, you will have to get tubes with removable core. Approx R25-R30.