Eselfontein MTB race Need Ideas

Ceres

Hi guys just trying to find out some ideas to make the Eselfontein mtb better.

Having a meeting tomorrow night at Deon's house to discuss the race. The consensus was that the 19km was to short and the 40km was too technical for the rider that do the normal 30 to 35km race at most events. My wife has just started riding this year and does most of the 30km rides around this area, took her down "death drop" the other day which is in the 40km ride and she pushed most of the way down. She now wont do the 40km because of that part.

I'm interested to find out from you guys what you think about taking out death drop?

Also does it bother you that the race is not PPA run?

Should there be a kiddies ride?

Anything else you can think of?

Also sorry stuck this in the wrong Forum.

Edited by Ceres

Hey Ceres, Normally, I don't do races longer than 35km - just a personal preference thing - but the 42km Eselfontein was excellent last year! Had a blast - the course had all the right attributes - long tech climbs, nice fast singletrack, river crossings, beautiful foresty section and fast awesome downhill sections, where the slower climber such as myself could make up some time.

I vote to keep it the same!

Should there be a kiddies ride?

Anything else you can think of?

If you want families to come, and want an extra 3 entries (2 kiddies and the mom) from me, then you must have a nice kiddies ride. (5km for ages from 4 - 8), 15-20 km for ages 8-12, and then 30-35 km and lastly 50-60 km for the fit and adventurous!

Oh yes - and the lake jump seriously needs a new kicker - that old one is an accident waiting to happen!

Maybe better laid out flyers this year - eg. no one knew they what lake jumping was pre the actual day - so no one had a bike ready for dunking.

Other than that, I had a great time there!

Edited by nox1111

I've not done the race previously but can comment on 2 of your questions:

re PPA - as long as there is some way to give people positions and times, I can't think of a reason to have ppa on board (they sure do cost you race organisers lots!)

Technical sections: is there no way a chicken run can be constructed? This way you can cater for all the different calibres wishing to ride the 40km and keep everybody happy.

I know it is a great ride the problem comes in that MTB is exploding and a lot of less technical people are riding. We had quiet a few falls at death drop even from the 70km guys we just worried we are going to chase people away. It also sounds like you know how descend we just worried about the guys who dont. Also a guy with "Grip it, rip it, boost it!" at the bottom of his page shouldn't have problem .:D

Hi Ceres,

PLEASE dont involve PPA. This is my bestest race on the calendar.

The only issue I have with Eselfontein race is that the weekend is usually full of other races (apple blossom)

Please, please, please don't make it less technical! This is my favourite ride of the year, there's nothing I enjoy more than hammering it down that long sweet singletrack from the back side of the mountain.

Shapiro's drop is fine, I've never had an issue there. Maybe more warning markings (3 arrows pointing down, skull and crossbones)?

PPA, rather not have them. Positions? I don't really mind about positions and timing and stuff but there are a number of people who take that sort of thing very seriously.

Ceres. dont change a damn thing its the best race of the year. If people cant ride technical they can do 100s of other rides on the calender, Eselfontein is a true MTB race and i have convinced a lot of people to come and do it that missed it last year. I did the 70km and it was brilliant. I know you want to make some more cash but dont water down your route to accommadate for Mr newbie and his cousins, and DO NOT USE PPA ....they do sweet F ALL.

Yes parts are quite hectic and there will always be spills and falls but thats what we do, otherwise i would still be playing golf every sat am.

Oh and supply the guys at the watering point with more brandy. I only managed 2 drinks and then they ran out.

Seriously the date is the only problem I have had and I always choose to camp and stay the whole weekend. Maybe warm the pool water up with the water pumping through a black irrigation pipe? I see Slanghoek is a different weekend again this year :)

and those honeys at the first water point need to be spread out...to other watering points.

Edited by Nobody

Just my 2c and no I won't be riding it as I am a Cowtenger (I am sure someone will make a sarcastic/smart comment as it seems happens to everything I write lately on the Hub) but anyway ....

I am not a particularly good technical rider (OK so I'm actually quite crap) but I don't believe that races should be 'dumbed' down for us as it is unfair on riders who are competent and enjoy this part of racing. As long as like TitusTi says it is well marked I am happy to walk/slide down anything if necessary. Clearly if you can't ride it you probably aren't going 'for the win' anyway ;)

Oh and supply the guys at the watering point with more brandy. I only managed 2 drinks and then they ran out.Seriously the date is the only problem I have had and I always choose to camp and stay the whole weekend. Maybe warm the pool water up with the water pumping through a black irrigation pipe? I see Slanghoek is a different weekend again this year :)and those honeys at the first water point need to be spread out...to other watering points.

:clap:

What I like about Eslefontein.

The venue is perfect. If its too technical you are allowed to ride there and practice any time of the year by staying in the eco-huts. (beware the HUGE lap dogs)

Whenever I have seen an injury there was always someone on a motorbike with or nearby the injured party.

The farmers who help are super friendly and for riders like me who enjoy a chat they offer you their chair while someone brings you coke or sweeties.

The toilets are clean and always available.

Plenty of wood on sale

Always cold beer available (even on the trail).

The views and trail are stunning.

Plenty to do after the ride

The black forest (twice)

What I dont like about Eselfontein.

I battle to make the night rides on Friday but thats due to my work.

Leaving on Sunday.

Last year I did the trailrun as I did not cycle yet...BUT this year I have flipped the cards and got a MTB!! :clap:

Since I bought my Scotty in Feb :blush: I have been to Esels :P and did most of the routes closest to the guest house; incl the forest and over the rivers and amazing single tracks and under the trees where it seems you will loose your head and over the bridges and I must say there was one double-log that I could not get over even trying the 3rd time (must add I was only cycling for 2 months).

My verdict being a 'new-bee': DON'T CHANGE A THING! BECAUSE I WANT THE CHALLENGE. Also please don't make the 42km shorter! It is not worth it for me to travel to a race which will not be a challenge - I can do plenty of leisure rides in PE. :rolleyes:

Another favor, please don't have the event between the 16th September and 16th October as I will unfortunately be in NZ and I REALLY want to join this year on a bike! (Just trying my luck) :D

O and...maybe you can look into a DUO - MTB (21km) and trailrun (10km). I'll be keen for that too. :unsure:

Edited by hayleyearth