To Buy or Not to Buy

Gareth1982

Hi All

I have a serious Problem, I can't decide if I want to Upgrade my Bike or if I should just buy a new one.

Let me explain.....

Option 1.

I have a Mongoose Tyax Comp (2006), I have already upgraded the cassette and chain as I have put on deore groupset.

What I want to do is this, Upgrade the fork with a Suntour Reidon air fork, put on Hydrolic disc brakes, replace my bikes rims with Mavic cross ride rims and put in an external crank bb.

this will cost me Around R5500.

Option 2.

I can buy a brand new Mongoose Meteor Comp (2012) for R7000 and it has all the stuff on already?

I know it is only R1500 difference but I am so confused because I love my bike and it is in 100% working condition but it is also an old model.

What do you guys think and can you please give a reason for why you think so.

Thanks

Hi All

I have a serious Problem, I can't decide if I want to Upgrade my Bike or if I should just buy a new one.

Let me explain.....

Option 1.

I have a Mongoose Tyax Comp (2006), I have already upgraded the cassette and chain as I have put on deore groupset.

What I want to do is this, Upgrade the fork with a Suntour Reidon air fork, put on Hydrolic disc brakes, replace my bikes rims with Mavic cross ride rims and put in an external crank bb.

this will cost me Around R5500.

Option 2.

I can buy a brand new Mongoose Meteor Comp (2012) for R7000 and it has all the stuff on already?

I know it is only R1500 difference but I am so confused because I love my bike and it is in 100% working condition but it is also an old model.

What do you guys think and can you please give a reason for why you think so.

Thanks

Have you checked the classifieds out? The new bike would be a better option in my opinion, soon you will forget about the old bike ;) What you planning on doing with the old bike?

Question is - can you make up the R1500 by selling your old bike (if in good condition!) - If so means you have a new bike with a much better frame for the same cost as upgrading part of your current bike! Definitely would be worth going for the new bike... check with your local bike shop, as Mongoose was running a special on the 2010 Meteore comp for R6500 a few weeks ago (might be better parts kit).

Also please clarify with your LBS, as they are leading you on in terms of the Meteore comp model - it will definitely not be the 2012 model, as 1 - they are not in the country, and 2 - I have it on very good info that the 2012 model with only be a 29er, with the tyax models running 26". (Worth waiting for the 29er maybe?)

Thanks

Sell the old bike for R2k and you're better off

Have you checked the classifieds out? The new bike would be a better option in my opinion, soon you will forget about the old bike ;) What you planning on doing with the old bike?

I don't really want to buy second hand again, I just had to much fixing up to do the last time. I am not sure what I am going to do with my old bike as such but if I do buy a new bike then I probably will sell my old one.

Also please clarify with your LBS, as they are leading you on in terms of the Meteore comp model - it will definitely not be the 2012 model, as 1 - they are not in the country, and 2 - I have it on very good info that the 2012 model with only be a 29er, with the tyax models running 26". (Worth waiting for the 29er maybe?)

Thanks for the info I will run it by my LBS it might be that he is miss informed. Do you maybe have an idea what price class the 29er will be in?

I will have a look on the net now as well.

I was also considering the Merida 800 Matt, I can get a brand new one for R7200. but as I understand it is a 2010 model. It is a black and green in colour.

For all the upgrades you want to do, rather get the new bike. Much less fiddling and it'll come as a nice package with new parts and a warranty.

do you guys think the Merida is better than the Mongoose or what?

Should I maybe looking for another brand, I want to buy a bike that will last me a few years with out me having to upgrade anything.

what do you guys think about the Silverback Slider?

it is a dual suspention bike it weighs like 13KG so something and it is well speced.

it is also a 2011 model bike and looks really nice

do you think I would go wrong with this bike?

do you guys think the Merida is better than the Mongoose or what?

Should I maybe looking for another brand, I want to buy a bike that will last me a few years with out me having to upgrade anything.

I would say MERIDA > mongoose

Thanks I was also leaning to wards Merida but then I saw the Silverback Slider

Here is the specs on This Site

Edited by Gareth1982