Freeride stem on XC bike?

divernick

I have been getting neck and headaches after long hard rides and I have an idea that my stem's too long (120mm). I have just installed a 50mm freeride stem and have yet to ride with it, but will it make my bike's handling very different? Has anyone moved from a long to a short stem and seen a big difference in handling?

See images below

post-19617-0-22583800-1312523784.jpg

post-19617-0-25210200-1312523808.jpg

Wow, those look like 2 extremes...

I think it will change your bike handling quite a bit. What's the angle on the 120mm? 15 degrees? I know that you have already installed it, but if it were me I would reduce it to a 100mm 5 degree rise first, then an 80mm, etc.

Wow, those look like 2 extremes...

I think it will change your bike handling quite a bit. What's the angle on the 120mm? 15 degrees? I know that you have already installed it, but if it were me I would reduce it to a 100mm 5 degree rise first, then an 80mm, etc.

Haha,yes, that would be the prudent thing to do - but I am just using what I have at the moment. I guess the proof will be in the riding....

apparently the shorter the stem, the more responsive the steering, so the slightest flinch will cause movement

Total height loss is about 50-60mm and reach is about 60mm closer. It does make the bike look more MX though.

I have been getting neck and headaches after long hard rides and I have an idea that my stem's too long (120mm). I have just installed a 50mm freeride stem and have yet to ride with it, but will it make my bike's handling very different? Has anyone moved from a long to a short stem and seen a big difference in handling?

See images below

You sure that neck pain after hard and long rides is not cause by riding without gears!:lol:

You sure that neck pain after hard and long rides is not cause by riding without gears!:lol:

Nah, that would be the leg pain! :P

You need to consider both length and rise of the two stems.

Although one stem may be considerably shorter, less rise may mean that the net result isn't that big.

You'll have a change in handling but not necessarily a change in comfort.

apparently the shorter the stem, the more responsive the steering, so the slightest flinch will cause movement

yup yup! that is correct! Hence why DH bikes have the shortest pussible stems. I run a 40mm on my DH bike and a 50mm on my 4X bike.

Ride report:

Ok, the sstem's too short for me,couldn't climb worth a damn. Rode at Teak and found the sharper steering was nice, but felt cramped in the cockpit.

And still got a headache later after the ride....back to square one....