ironman at the age of 18?

Shane Bob

im thinking of doing half ironman 2012 and ill be 18 going to 19 in may, should i do it or wait somemore?

1/2 should be okay, but I think you should wait a bit befroe you tackle a full ultra tri.

4or 5 months of very rigorous training will proabbly not be the best thing you could do...

Hi

The first question to ask is, what other triathlon (distance) events have you completed?

The next would be what are your goals, or what do you hope to achieve from the event? How much are you training and how much can you put in before January?

There are more factors and considerations at play here than just do it or not - and despite the gung ho comments above you are wise to ask the question as a half iron man puts your body through stresses and strains that if done too young or without the proper conditioning can cause problems.

there are several channels to help prepare yourself correctly and I would be happy to point you in the right direction.

Wise words from 'R2D2 7' above. I question how many iron man events the other posters have done. I reckon you should call the sports science institute and get some expert advice. Y

I've done several halves and a few full IM races so whether that makes me qualified to give advice is up to you. I am 31 and started tri when I was 27. I did a full IM less than one year after I started tri. Anyway enough about me.... I think that doing a HIM at the age of eighteen will be fine. Swimming and cycling do not stress the body particularly and a half only has a 21km run which I think is perfectly managable at 18 years of age. I would probably wait a couple of years if you plan on going for a full IM or beyond as the level of running required for those events might stress a young body quite a bit.

yes do it!

i did xterra this year feb at age 20, i thought it would be tough, but i put my mind to it and trained. i'm not a very strong swimmer, so a swam every day for 6weeks before xterra (1,5km swim)so i finished this swim leg very comfortable ready for the rest.

so yeah, i'll recommend try to swim everyday and do cycling or running aswell. swimming helps moerse baie with lung capacity and fitness. also try and practice your cycling to running transition aswell a few times

good luck and enjoy

dont doubt your ability. your main thing will be to keep mentaly strong. iv done my first Karoo to Coast age 10 and first transbaviaans age 15 with my brother age 13. mentally you have to be prepared, your body will be more than capable

I question how many iron man events the other posters have done. I reckon you should call the sports science institute and get some expert advice. Y

Your right he should get expert advice, BUT he asked the Hub so instead of sitting on the fence try give a proper answer next time.

I wonder how many ultra tri’s you have done, bet you a golden Lindt bunny I’ve done more than you.

Edited by SwissVan

Hi

The first question to ask is, what other triathlon (distance) events have you completed?

The next would be what are your goals, or what do you hope to achieve from the event? How much are you training and how much can you put in before January?

There are more factors and considerations at play here than just do it or not - and despite the gung ho comments above you are wise to ask the question as a half iron man puts your body through stresses and strains that if done too young or without the proper conditioning can cause problems.

there are several channels to help prepare yourself correctly and I would be happy to point you in the right direction.

i did iron man when i was 16 and again when i was 17, i did the cycle and the run, both wernt to bad but afterwards i was stuffed! and ive done some olimpic distances but im worried with doing them one after the other, if im buggered after a 90km cycle what would i feel like after the run! and swim! i mean ive done a 40km odd run and i was fine, so running isnt mu prob. i guess im just worried with screwing up my body for the future

Wasn't Lance doing these before he got into cycling?

I don't think he did anything as long as a 1/2IM.