Any recommendations on a JHB Bike Technician?

TheV

Hi Guys,

So I'm Superrrr excited about my latest MTB Bike project...

Since my junior days I have raced LOOK road bicycles, so just imagine the excitement when the opportunity arrived to pick up a LOOK 996 MTB frame (for a steal). I recon it's going to make me feel at least 10 years younger!.

Ive ordered the new Frame with a new Stem, Bar, Grips, Pedals, Seat post, F/Derailleur and a new Cable set. So I would need some help to re-build the Bike using the existing Cranks, Brakes, Controls, Rear Mech and Suspension Fork from current bike.

I would hopefully like to be involved (or at least present to watch) during the build - any suggestions on good Bike Technician in the Gauteng/JHB area with own workshop to comfortably do this?

(I will pay of course, I just don't know of any LBS who would allow you me to stand around and watch them build my bike? And ask questions, and ooooh and aaaahhh).

' alt='post-25478-0-88995800-1312552258.png'>post-25478-0-88995800-1312552258.png

WTF? I suppose you are looking for a mechanic/toolman.

Technicians are people who work for Telkom, they don't work on bikes!

Take it to your favourite LBS, or get a torque wrench and get watching clips on youtube.

Nice bike by the way...

WTF? I suppose you are looking for a mechanic/toolman.

Technicians are people who work for Telkom, they don't work on bikes!

Take it to your favourite LBS, or get a torque wrench and get watching clips on youtube.

Nice bike by the way...

Haha, that's what I meant, a mechanic!

I don't want to do it myself, just be part of it.... the experience!

Also, don't want to spend thousands on the correct tools! Nor do I have the patience to set the gears etc....

How much did you steal it for ?

Hey Skott,

It was on special on Chain Reaction, basically 50% off.

Paid approx R13.6k for the frame, now i just have to see what customs are going to do- used DHL so i hope i don't have the same morons as at the post office trying to calculate taxes...

at worst i would have to pay 14% vat i think, so approx R15.5k.....

Haha, that's what I meant, a mechanic!

I don't want to do it myself, just be part of it.... the experience!

Also, don't want to spend thousands on the correct tools! Nor do I have the patience to set the gears etc....

Take a video camera with, ya sound like one of those dad's who wants to see his child being born and then put it on Youtube!

Where about do you live in JHB?

If Northern JHB, I would suggest Mike Barth, owner of Mikes Bikes 011 8888868

Where about do you live in JHB?

If Northern JHB, I would suggest Mike Barth, owner of Mikes Bikes 011 8888868

Thug, its right down the road from me! I'm in parkhurst, mikesbikes in greenside.

Just been on their website, look like a really cool outfit, ill give them a call in the morning!

Thank you for the the suggestion!

I have 2 suggestions: 1 I can vouch for, the other I have only heard good things about.

Cyclists Workshop- Josh. Near leaping frog, at the nursery. He's built my 5 bikes and always does a good job for a reasonable price.

Johan Bornman. I want to go and do a bike building course with him, the a fork servicing course, then a wheel building course.