polar rs800cx

cadenceblur

Yebo. I use mine all the time. All good. Haven't got the footpod so never know how far I run, but the bike features are great. Can also get attaching gps unit which I haven't got.

Great unit! Use the footpod and it works super. Looking to get the speed sensor soon. If you're looking to use it as a training aid its more than worth the $$$. Polar after sales support is great too!

do your homework first and definitely check out the latest garmin 800 as an alternative. my rs800cx is just over a year old and the start/lap button stopped working properly. apparently this is a manufacturing problem with some of these units. polar repair them under warranty but you have to pay to ship it to jhb, so its a real pain to get service unless you are in jhb

Agree with Grego, do your homework! Can be a very expensive stopwatch... You can also have a look at some of the Suunto units, friend of mine is very happy with his. Don't have any info on the after sales tho

do your homework first and definitely check out the latest garmin 800 as an alternative. my rs800cx is just over a year old and the start/lap button stopped working properly. apparently this is a manufacturing problem with some of these units. polar repair them under warranty but you have to pay to ship it to jhb, so its a real pain to get service unless you are in jhb

Mine did exactly the same until I replaced the battery. After that the button was as sensitive as should be.

Totally agree that the different items all have their best suited applications.

Been using my RS800 bike for more than 2 years. Chose this one because:

1. I only want to wear ONE wristwatch....one less item to remember to tag along/swop. Also means my stats are with me ALWAYS.

2. Do NOT want to recharge / swop batteries more than once a year and then I want to do it myself. (Another schlep from some units)

3. The GPS mapping bit is for free with Endomondo software on my Blackberry, so no GPS add-on for me.

4. Had face and strap replaced for R300, after an epic face plant. Same incident's left shoulder repair cost R32,000.ee

5. The software that comes with the watch suits my personal needs 100%

thanks, been checking out the reviews, not really concerned about the gps capabilities , as mentioned can get this from endomondo anyway

thanks, been checking out the reviews, not really concerned about the gps capabilities , as mentioned can get this from endomondo anyway

If its GPS you're after Polar is not your answer. They prefer you use the sensors as they are more reliable than GPS. Their GPS units are incredibly bulky (not much smaller than a garmin 500) which you wear on your arm...

The battery life of the GPS units are pathetic (10hrs) and non rechargable.

So Polar GPS is like wearing a Polar on your wrist and Garmin on your arm, uses AAA batteries non rechargeable and doesn't last.

I use Polar for running and Garmin 705 on the bike.

Recently during IM, wore the Polar. During the swim, didn't pick up HR and that remained the case for the rest of the day, unless you "restart", which kind of defeats the purpose of taking time, right?

For multisport - Polar has its merits as Garmin no good for running. Cycling - nothing beats Garmin

Edited by bontie

If its GPS you're after Polar is not your answer. They prefer you use the sensors as they are more reliable than GPS. Their GPS units are incredibly bulky (not much smaller than a garmin 500) which you wear on your arm...

The battery life of the GPS units are pathetic (10hrs) and non rechargable.

So Polar GPS is like wearing a Polar on your wrist and Garmin on your arm, uses AAA batteries non rechargeable and doesn't last.

The G3 GPS only uses one AA battery and lasts longer than you think.

I switch mine on and chuck it in my Camelbak. You don't have to wear it on your arm.

At the end of the day die GPS track gets exported to the same gpx or kml files. The only thing is you don't have a map while riding... not that a map on a MTB will help you.

The G3 GPS only uses one AA battery and lasts longer than you think.

I switch mine on and chuck it in my Camelbak. You don't have to wear it on your arm.

At the end of the day die GPS track gets exported to the same gpx or kml files. The only thing is you don't have a map while riding... not that a map on a MTB will help you.

Had one, sold it - the battery lasted about 12 hours..., and yes one AA battery, so you'll have to carry a speare penlight.

If you don't ride with a camelback?

If running there is no better place to put it but on your arm - alos makes for a fantastic tan mark!

On the garmin you can download those same .gpx files and get turn by turn directions on the garmin, which the Polar doesn't

I still think it is inferior to other GPS devices.

I've had the RS800CX now for just over a year.

My thoughts:

Its a great unit and its very easy to use and set up multiple bikes and shoes. I have it set up on my road bike, mtb, road running shoes and trail running shoes. The footpod is great and I find it very accurate. I have measured it with the car and its 99% the same.

Another thing that no one mentioned here is that you can upload your workouts onto polarpersonaltrainer and earn Discovery Vitality points. I'm a +- 8 - 10 hour a week guy and I clocked just over 11000 points. Got us our gold status which is pretty cool. You cant do that with Garmin or Suunto.

Great unit, buy one, you wont regret it.

For Multi sport dudes (Bontie) Polar recently released a new watch the RCX5, it still has the seperate GPS receiver (G5) but it looks quite a bit smaller than the previous polar gps receivers (G3). The RCX5 is also compatible with the G3 so maybe the RS800cx will aslo work with the GP5?

Dont you just hate it when companies bring out better versions after you already forked out a small fortune for the one you have now...Technology LOL

CHeck out DC Rainmakers review of the RCX5

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/06/polar-rcx5-in-depth-review.html

Edited by SwissVan