Book Reviews

Yang

Busy reading Tour de France, The History, The Legend, The Riders, by Graeme Fife. I wanted to read it while the TdF was on, but got too busy. R99 at Bargain Books.

I've read a few other books on the TdF, including Push Just a Little Bit Harder by Johnny Green, but Fife's is the best so far.

I've read a few other books on the TdF, including Push Just a Little Bit Harder by Johnny Green, but Fife's is the best so far.

Fife is a great writer, but I found Green's book a way more refreshing take on the race.

Green comes from left of centre and from that perspective the book is entertaining. The thing about Fife's book I think is that its written for the reader who already knows something about the TdF and cycling, but wants to know more. I find hidden gems in the pages. For example, I've just read a couple of pages on Coppi and found some stuff that wasn't in Coppi's biography "Fallen Angel" by Fotheringham. He also writes from a fascinating perspective, recounting stories of the climbs as he himself rides up them. In the current chapter he's struggling up the Izoard and tells the stories of the great cyclists over this mountain. He's covered the Alpe d Huez, Col du Telegraphe, and the Galibier. I'm a third of the way through the book (not the Izoard :D )

He also writes from a fascinating perspective, recounting stories of the climbs as he himself rides up them. In the current chapter he's struggling up the Izoard and tells the stories of the great cyclists over this mountain. He's covered the Alpe d Huez, Col du Telegraphe, and the Galibier. I'm a third of the way through the book (not the Izoard :D )

Yeah, I liked that aspect of it! Also enjoyed Tim Moore's toiling along the TdF route! :D

Just picked up another 4 books from Exclusive Books for my collection :clap: . Gotta do this while visiting SA.

.A Race for Madmen. Chris Sidwells. R129. About the TdF (another one)

.Its all About the Bike. Robert Penn. R134. Described as a love affair with cycling and the journey to build a dream bike.

.Wide eyed and Legless. Inside the TdF. Jeff Connor. R190. Described as the No.1 cycling book of all time, so lets see.

.Racing Through the Dark. The fall and rise of David Millar. R185.

There was also a book on Cadel Evans, but I-ll wait for the update of 2011 with his win.

BTW, tell me more about Tim Moore?

Edited by Yang

Just picked up another 4 books from Exclusive Books for my collection :clap: . Gotta do this while visiting SA.

.A Race for Madmen. Chris Sidwells. R129. About the TdF (another one)

.Its all About the Bike. Robert Penn. R134. Described as a love affair with cycling and the journey to build a dream bike.

.Wide eyed and Legless. Inside the TdF. Jeff Connor. R190. Described as the No.1 cycling book of all time, so lets see.

.Racing Through the Dark. The fall and rise of David Millar. R185.

There was also a book on Cadel Evans, but I-ll wait for the update of 2011 with his win.

BTW, tell me more about Tim Moore?

Nice selection there. I would add Cav's book too.

Tim Moore is more slacker than rider. He's a great travel writer. He goes on a quest to ride the Tour route ahead of the race. Mixes ina bit of history, personal failings, social observation. It's called French Revolutions. I think it'll be in the travel section of the bookshop.

Just finished Laurent Fignon's "We were young and carefree". It was a really good read and found out a lot more detail about french cycling in the 80's. What was interesting in the book was his takes on Hinault and Cyrill Guimard, as well as the use of drugs within the racing fraternity at the time. What was poignant to read was his comment that he was remembered as the man who had lost the tour by 8seconds to Le Mond, not the man that had won back to back tours in 83 and 84.

I-ve got and read Cav-s book. The insights turned me into a fan.

I-ve also got and read We Were Young and Carefree. Yep, his message on drugs was interesting. He insisted that he never used drugs, but at the same time, in one or two parts of the book you actually wonder whether he was being truthful or not.

Must keep a lookout for French Revs.

Anyone read Wide Eyed and Legless? It was first published in 1988, so I-m intrigued.

I don't read cycling books, but, it seems, like me, you enjoy reading, why not get a Kindle and you don't need to be here to buy the paper version. I mean we like you been here and all :) , but I tell you, since I bought my kindle, I have not set foot in a book shop and I read avidly.

I don't read cycling books, but, it seems, like me, you enjoy reading, why not get a Kindle and you don't need to be here to buy the paper version. I mean we like you been here and all :) , but I tell you, since I bought my kindle, I have not set foot in a book shop and I read avidly.

Very kind of you GOG to like me been here and all on the Hub. Thanks for the pointer/ just googled Kindle, and I am open to changing my mind-set. But from the horse-s mouth, how much does it cost and what is the typical charge for a book. How long to download? What have you downloaded and how practical is it to use? Presumably stocked at Incredible Connection?

Very kind of you GOG to like me been here and all on the Hub. Thanks for the pointer/ just googled Kindle, and I am open to changing my mind-set. But from the horse-s mouth, how much does it cost and what is the typical charge for a book. How long to download? What have you downloaded and how practical is it to use? Presumably stocked at Incredible Connection?

Order via Amazon.

OK. Just done some homework and there are over 200 titles on cycling on Amazon and kindle, at half to 3/4 price of the shelf price. But still some questions. Can you print out the books? And Kindle can only be ordered acquired over the web from Amazon?

Edited by Yang

Not that it can't be bought here in SA - it's just that, if bought off Amazon.com, you'll pay roughly 1/2 what you would pay in a shop over here. And it gets to you within a week.

In terms of printing out, I don't see why not. But then, why would you want to kill more trees when you've got the book on your kindle anyway?

• 2 months later...

Get From Amazon.uk online.

Some books go for free! I buy lots at about $3-$10 . Down load of a book is about <1 minute

Reading Tim Noakes new book now, Challenging Beliefs was about $11

Jis but you okes are cycling befok. How about some books that does not involve bicycles.

Edited by AndreZA