Mtb drops/jumps

banna

Just a quick technical riding question for the DH guys: If you go over a big drop (not a jump) what's the right technique? You obviously try to get your weight back and then what? Extend your arms forward? Or do you also try to pull back on the handlebars at the same time? Or is it not possible to extend and pull at the same time? Sorry, a lot of dumb questions here. :blink:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The correct technique for riding off a DROP ....

1. As you approach the drop remember to carry speed (momentum is your friend) as if you are too slow the front wheel will drop early and you may go ares-over-tit ...

2. when rolling up to the drop crouch into the bike with your core/chest area - your arms will bend a bit more than normal when doing this but remember that you DONT need to have your arse sticking way out the back - and DONT have your arms extended so much that they are locked!

3. as the front wheel rides off the lip of the drop quickly raise your core/chest upwards and backwards (about a 45 deg angle) - this will cause your arms to straighten a bit on the bike - but again dont lock them! What this does is effectively lighten the front wheel and allow it to "float" over the obstacle - This will allow the front and rear wheels to land back on the trail together at the same time. so you dont just push down on the front - its all controlled by your core area.

4. as teh wheels land back on teh ground compress back into the bike with your core - this will help absorb the impact of the landing and allow you to ride off unhindered. If you are stiff and just use the suspension to take up the impact theres a good chance you'll eat it!

ENJOY trying it out - but remember ... your core position on teh bike is the most vital thing that you need to get right for ANY riding ... so practice

Awesome. Thx a stack for the advice Nigel. Wil give it a bash. I always find that I land with too much of my weight on the front wheel. But that's maybe because I'm not carrying enough speed. But ja, practise will make perfect!

Awesome. Thx a stack for the advice Nigel. Wil give it a bash. I always find that I land with too much of my weight on the front wheel. But that's maybe because I'm not carrying enough speed. But ja, practise will make perfect!

Good advice from Nice as always ;)

One thing to try in the parking-lot which will help a HUGE amount on the trail:

As strange as it sounds the movement to lift the weight off your front wheel is actually by thrusting your hips forward and keeping your legs bent but stiff, pushing into the pedals as you do this. This movement is counter-acted by straightening your arms [not quite locking your elbows] and leaning back pulling gently on the handlebars. The difficulty here is timing and this is just something which you will have to practice, I suggest ride with gentle speed in a flat parking lot while you get your head around it.

Thrust hips forward [picture pushing your pedals out infront of you] > throw shoulders back > straighten arms > feel front wheel lift.

Once you have this mastered on flat ground try simulate the same movement while riding off a pavement. Again, timing is something you will have to master. Once you feel comfortable performing it off a curb try progressing to a slightly bigger drop.

As the saying goes: "its all in the hips"

As the saying goes: "its all in the hips"

Thx a stack boet. Yup, I wanna try some bigger stuff in the future (I saw the Fabien Barrel dvd and that got my juices flowing!), but I wanna get the basics spot on first. I've taken a few tumbles in the last while, so I realise how small the margin for error is when trying jumps/drops.

I'm finding that if you're run in to a drop is at a steep down gradient, it's somehow harder to land perfect than when the run in is flat. Is that just simply because your weight is naturally going to be more forward when the run in is angled down?

I'm finding that if you're run in to a drop is at a steep down gradient, it's somehow harder to land perfect than when the run in is flat. Is that just simply because your weight is naturally going to be more forward when the run in is angled down?

Close ... its simply because its harder to keep the wheel up because of the angle of the bike and your body against the horizontal, as well as the fact that if its steep (im talking like really steep) you have already shifted your body weight back and extended your arms to compensate for the shift in gradient and with your arms extended you dont have the force in your body to "extend" even further.

If you were to take a plumbline from your chest down when you are on the bike on level ground it should be in line (pretty much) with your forward foot if your pedals are level. This position gives you the best traction on the front and allows you to be forceful with the front end and direct the bike - rather than just hanging on for dear life. The same applies for when the gradient gets steep - a lot of riders just stick their arse out and lock their arms as soon as the trail starts going down ... WRONG! if you were to take a snapshot of a rider in the correct position on the bike at a 20deg track angle and at a 30deg track angle youd notice that his/her chest is still in a vertical plane with their front foot ... all you do is shift your BODY (not your arse) backwards to compensate for the gradient ... keeping your weight central to just back off the bike ... (hang on let me try find a pic ... and i'll show you!

OH YA ....

I have an MBUK mag that has a good couple of shots etc for just what we talking about - i'll take a snap shot of the page tonight and post it tomorrow!

ok heres a shot (thanks to Steph Davies of Radiate) from Giba Gorge a couple of seasons back ...

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/31321_393517402534_104470867534_4120037_3897223_n.jpg

This is the steepest part of the track - its a 2m bank drop thats near vertical.

Note - as i said how i have shifted my body back (bit my arms are still bent) but if you look at the vertical plane from my chest its almost in line with my pedal (ok i know its not the best angle - but still)

- with drops

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/188558_5874315358_587070358_63405_9029_n.jpg

this is a pic from ages ago ... but notice how i have "extended" my body out (in case more backwards than at 45 deg back like i mentioned as the run in is slow). You can see im actually "pushing" with my feet too (look at the angle of my feet on teh pedals) to extend my body away from the front end to lighten it.

- hope these help.

Thx a million. Ja I guess, everyone will have their own way of achieving the same thing! I think the hardest part is to get the timing right, of throwing your hips and feet forward while at the same time gettting your upper body back. It sounds like if you can get this right, there is almost not so much need to use your arms in the process.

Thx a million. Ja I guess, everyone will have their own way of achieving the same thing! I think the hardest part is to get the timing right, of throwing your hips and feet forward while at the same time gettting your upper body back. It sounds like if you can get this right, there is almost not so much need to use your arms in the process.

Not really hey .. its all pretty standard if you get it right ... MK was just describing how to lighten the front wheel on flats as this will help when you pop off stuff at slow speeds ...

its all sounds a bit awkward here ... so let me just take a pic of that article and i'll post it for you, cus it has sequence shots of what to do too!

Schweet Nige,

I like to think of doing a manual off the drops... same sorta thing, I reckon...

Hmmm...for once you're actually making some sense Mayhem :D

(I saw the Fabien Barrel dvd and that got my juices flowing!)

The skills for thrills dvd? :thumbup: He explaines it rather well in it.

Hmmm...for once you're actually making some sense Mayhem :D

For once!? F****** ass**** rimming summavabeeeeeech!

Hang on... No. Wait. You're right. I often confuse myself.

The skills for thrills dvd? :thumbup: He explaines it rather well in it.

The dvd I have is the "All mountain riding" one which I got with last month's issue of MBUK. He explains cornering, jumps, drops, picking lines etc etc., but very briefly.

But jeesh, the oke just makes everything look so effortless.