Gear Question

Rydogg

I just got my first road bike and I'm struggling to climb some hills. I'm just not used to my new gears.

I have a double compact crank - 50/34 and a 9 speed cassette - 11/27. Shimano 105 group set.

I would like to know if I can get a smaller front chain ring, or a bigger rear chain ring, to help me with my climbing.

Is it just a case of replacing the chain rings? Where can I get them? What are the limtations?

Thanks

34/27 is actually a low gear. But you can't really go lower then that. The only other option is a triple up front but you will need a new left shifter. If you go that route, you might aswell just walk, it will be faster.

Yeah, like manfrog says, much lower and you'll be slower than walking. Best advice? Train.

That is about as low as you can go with a standard road compact setup.

The alternative as already suggested is a triple crank or mtb type cassette (34), but that will probably require some additional bits too (rd, chain etc).

Soldier on, it will get easier.! ;)

Finally, acknowledgement that roadies are toughrer than MTBers! TNT1 has the best advice in this instance.