MTB'ing in or around Winklespruit, KZN???

Squier

The wife and I are going down to Winklespruit/Illovo Beach at the end of the month and it goes without saying that the bike will be the first thing I pack! :D

Is there any cool riding to be done there?

I've read about Virginia Farm that looks quite cool and less than 30 minutes away. Is it worth it driving out there? How many kms can one do there?

The other trails I've read about it seems a bit far. The likes of Holla trails and Lake Eland is a fair distance away. I don't want to leave my wife alone for the whole day while I'm out riding so I'm looking for something in the vicinity where I can do 3 - 4 hour ride early in the morning and still be back for brunch.

I will really appreciate any input!

Looking at Google Earth it seems there are quite a bit of possible trails in and around Illovo. However, this is most probably private land, right?

Another thing; how safe is the area? If I'm riding alone can I just head out towards Illovo South, for example?

google amanzimtoti cycle club as they have regular rides in the area, or you can also ride at giba gorge in pinetwown area

The wife and I are going down to Winklespruit/Illovo Beach at the end of the month and it goes without saying that the bike will be the first thing I pack! :D

Is there any cool riding to be done there?

I've read about Virginia Farm that looks quite cool and less than 30 minutes away. Is it worth it driving out there? How many kms can one do there?

The other trails I've read about it seems a bit far. The likes of Holla trails and Lake Eland is a fair distance away. I don't want to leave my wife alone for the whole day while I'm out riding so I'm looking for something in the vicinity where I can do 3 - 4 hour ride early in the morning and still be back for brunch.

I will really appreciate any input!

Howzit Squier, im from the area and ride regularly out back of illovo where there are plenty district roads and fair riding to get through with a few over grown single tracks for a thrill. Otherwise the farm is great riding with a few technical decents with tight switchbacks - and two primary trails for your riding choice of 20km and 40km distance.. Even closer then 30min away and great riding :thumbup:

Thanks Bman! I will definitely hit the Virginia trails then. I'm assuming then the district roads are safe to ride alone?

Thanks Bman! I will definitely hit the Virginia trails then. I'm assuming then the district roads are safe to ride alone?

Yeah the roads are fine my man, dont be riding through to the farm too early - unless you have fairly good lights to ride in the dark, plus im not even sure farms gates open before usual hours as such?

Yeah the roads are fine my man, dont be riding through to the farm too early - unless you have fairly good lights to ride in the dark, plus im not even sure farms gates open before usual hours as such?

Cool, thanks! Look like you have to book before riding the farm anyway.

Cool, thanks! Look like you have to book before riding the farm anyway.

negative - rock up, sign in on the register, leave a donation in the honesty box and enjoy the routes for the day or how ever long you please - let me know when your here, if im around ill join you for the ride! :thumbup:

Giba gorge also about 35 mins away from where you are. Full on bike park with sweet flowing single track and fully safe. Lovely restaurant , coffee shop for missus to chill at while you ride, and always ous there to hook up with to show you around... Def worth it if you got time.

Thanks Bman, really appreciated! I'll probably do most of my ride during the week but we can chat about a weekend ride.

Benjamin, it looks like there is only about 20kms of trails at Giba, if I'm not mistaken. Is the singletrack that good that it's worth driving out there for 20km of riding?

Edited by Squier

Yebo. All in there is a lot more than 20k if you link all the loops together but you have to know where you are going. Best to join others who know the routes. Pm me if you keen to organise a ride. From winkle to giba, say 2 and half hour ride, cup of tea and back home probably more than 4 hrs though

Giba is worth the drive. Take your wife with you, get her to drop you off and let her go down to Pavillion to do some shopping. Hook up with sone of the local boys and let them show you around. Some lung-busting climbs up to anti-gravity hill but the dh singletrack is mind-blowing.

A ride you should not miss

there is a very nice race in umkomaas valley on the 4th september if you going to be around, check it out on roag.co.za

Thanks Shaun, but we're heading back on the 4th so I'll be missing out. :(

Benjamin, King_Cripsy, I'll definitely consider Giba! Sounds like some serious fun!

Can't wait to hit the trails! :thumbup: