Triathlon - Expensive

Garfield2010

Guys

Why cant Triathlon SA or whoever arrange that the annual license we pay them, can be used to enter all cycle and running races without also having to buy a "race-day numbers" etc.

They want me to pay an annual fee to register with running, cycling and triathlon? If not then I have to pay R30 on raceday regardless of which event I am doing.

WTF?

This sport is becoming way to expensive.

Olympic distance races costing R800! Thats crazy.

People are making a lot of money out of this sport and we are feeding the monster. I cant afford to pay 3 different unions every weekend just to take part in races.

I want one licensing number which covers everything. Or else I might just as well sell my bike and do just one discipline.

I cant afford it anymore.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Triathlon, Running and Cycling are all run by different governing bodies and considered as different sports. It's like saying if I pay membership at a particular golf club then I can go to a walking event without a license because they both involve walking.

I guess it is the same as a car driving license, you have different costs and tests for different types of vehicles. I agree with you though it would be great if it was all under one banner!!

i think the point that Garfield is trying to make is triathlon encompasses running cycling and swimming yet you need seperate race licenses for each of the events... he isnt saying that if you are a TSA member that we want a F1 race license but a running and cycling one would be nice :blush:

Just from a cycling perspective. If they fall under the cycling union then the bikes need to be UCI legal and some of the tri bikes aren't.

ITU and ICU rules are completely different, then you have the complications of drafting and non-drafting which incorporate different sets of rules. simply put expecting one license for all events is like expecting a F1 license cause you have a drivers license.

I am done with triathlon after the Cape Town Challenge. It is too expensive. I am going to sell my bike, wetsuit and do running only. Cheaper. Buy one running number for the year and one pair of tekkies. No service fees for the bike. No maintenance no bull***t.

I might be wrong but I have never benefitted from these annual licensing fees.

Entry fees are also too expensive. Last year we paid heavens know how much and couldn't even swim in the Germiston Lake. SO we paid for a Tri. but did a Bi.

Running races asks around R60 per race.

Sure, triathlon is fun if you can afford it, but somewhere I got to draw the line. It is about the money now....

Example

A friend cannot do a triathlon race this coming weekend (which cost R800 to enter). He offered me his entry. I mailed the race organisers this week requesting the swop. They declined. Shows you....... They ensure they keep the money but dont accomodate the athletes.

WTF? Its only a change of number dudes? I am sure it would have taken them 30 sekonds to accomodate me??

Keep your R800 whatever.

Will you sell your compression socks as well :lol:

But I'm with you, it is rediculously expensive... I don't even bother withthe little tri's anymore... 2 IM's a year is also flippin expensive... I'm with you on the running thing - and the events are so well attended, with such a great atmosphere as well...

Example 2

Earlier in the year we went down to do the Midmar 70.3

Entry Fees was R650 something. Accomodation and diesel etc.

Then on Raceday they ran out of water at the most crucial part of the race. I was on the FIRST lap (2 laps) of the run when they ran out already.

Pay R650 per athlete and they dont even have water?

These are the kind of things that makes me wonder if it is not all about profits for these guys?

Years back you could take as many gels on the waterpoint tables as you wanted in IM races. These days they limit you. Why? Money?

They also limit you at most races to one small 100ml cup of coke afterwards..... WTF? If I pay hundreds of rands to enter your race, at least give me some decent hydration at the finish? Its not as if there is a draft machine waiting in my car....

. I am going to sell my bike, wetsuit and do running only. Cheaper. Buy one running number for the year and one pair of tekkies. No service fees for the bike. No maintenance no bull***t.

I'm with you. Quick question, will we still be allowed to come and troll this forum if we do that?

Haha. Or maybe we should boycott the expensive events and only do like the Buffelspoort 70.3 or something? That was value for money!

I agree that Triathlon is becoming an elitist sport due to the costs involved. R800 for a slightly over 2 hour race is excessive !!

I conservatively reckon that it cost me at least R10k to travel down and participate in both the 70.3 and full IM this year. Next year will only be full IM.

Simply put:

Running is not cycling is not triathlon.

Or has it changed now that to do triathlon you have to have seperate licenses instead of one license for Triathlon, what about a swimming license :P