Travel options for 70.3IM

Slipstream Sean

So I'm gonna enter for the 70.3IM in East London on 22nd of January. I stay in Cape Town. I want to fly up to EL but from the stories I've heard, I just don't trust these feakin airlines with transporting my bike. What does everyone else do? Is car pooling, and driving up the way to go. Or do you take the chance that you may arrive to see your bike in a carbon ball on the other side.

Suggestions will be most welcomed!

So I'm gonna enter for the 70.3IM in East London on 22nd of January. I stay in Cape Town. I want to fly up to EL but from the stories I've heard, I just don't trust these feakin airlines with transporting my bike. What does everyone else do? Is car pooling, and driving up the way to go. Or do you take the chance that you may arrive to see your bike in a carbon ball on the other side.

Suggestions will be most welcomed!

We are flying. Hard bike case (bike safe). EL is farking far to drive!

I'm sure you can rent one. I saw an ad for R500 on the hub

The problem is that if they are too full. It has tiwce happened to me that I have lost my bike and only gotten it back 2 weeks later. That was however with the Argus so the 70.3 should not be that bad.

Certain companies transport the bikes by truck. They do it in Joburg. It works.

i fly my bikes everywhere. to argus, to IM and even overseas. Pack them nicely and bobs your uncle.

with that said I don't have a R50k tt machine, but my Raleigh RC 3000 and Commencal have done a lot of trips with no problem.

I know cycle lab has a bike transport service for some events, they did have that for Sani2C last year, so if you're really worried I'd see if somebody offers something similar.

I would'nt send anything by plane that is high value unless you are prepared to be parted with it and have good insurance. I lost a Bianchi flying CPT to JHB SAA :thumbdown:

People staying in cape town should contact Paul Kaye. He has a service specifically for ironman athletes. His company is called Focus On The Finish Line. I believe its well priced and he will make sure your bikes get there safe.