Sani is expensive!

daryl_tt

So I'm really keen to do one of these multi stage mtb events and I was really looking forward to trying to get an entry into sani2C, until I looked at the price.

Its about R4458 per rider which basically works out to be R1500 a day. Now I thought hill2hill was a really well organised ride with lots of water points and good markings, and that race is R250 to enter. So using that as a gauge, where does the R1250 per day go? Accommodation and food?? I can't see it.

And another 3 day race 'The garden route 300' costs R2400 per rider for the 3 days. Which works out to be R800 a day for the ride, lunch and dinner. That's much better value.

So besides saying how awesome sani is (because I've many positive comments on it already), can someone tell me why it is so much more expensive than other races?

Thanks!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, price for this race is inconsequential, the waiting list must be in the thousands already. Great event, if it sucked no one would bother...

I don't doubt its awesomeness. I just want to know why its so expensive. If they are just charging so much because they can, then I'm disappointed.

the 3 events (J2C, S2C adventure and S2C race) facilitates a lot to be done for the communities, schools villages etc. that the route follows.

It was explained on the event, the more sponsors on board, the more money is put back into the communities.

nevermind the all you can eat buffet every night. :drool:

hot water for each and every participant and many more items not even thought about.

If they are just charging so much because they can,

That's the pricing model BMW/Cervelo/Pinarello/etc use...

Do the Epic. You get 7 days of entertainment for R 2571/day. You do double the distance, so it's a better deal! :rolleyes:

the 3 events (J2C, S2C adventure and S2C race) facilitates a lot to be done for the communities, schools villages etc. that the route follows.

It was explained on the event, the more sponsors on board, the more money is put back into the communities.

nevermind the all you can eat buffet every night. :drool:

hot water for each and every participant and many more items not even thought about.

Awesome experience, awesome value for money. Ask anyone who has done the Epic whether Sani is worth the price of admission.

That's the pricing model BMW/Cervelo/Pinarello/etc use...

also based on the capitalistic supply and demand model.

also based on the capitalistic supply and demand model.

Complete BS. Take the case of a carbon bicycle. It's common knowledge that many of the frames are produced in the same facilities in Taiwan, yet, when they get to the store, a cervelo with Dura Ace on is 5 times the price of a Giant with Dura Ace on. Don't kid yourself, these people are turning a healthy profit with this race. Why? Cause they can.

Complete BS. Take the case of a carbon bicycle. It's common knowledge that many of the frames are produced in the same facilities in Taiwan, yet, when they get to the store, a cervelo with Dura Ace on is 5 times the price of a Giant with Dura Ace on. Don't kid yourself, these people are turning a healthy profit with this race. Why? Cause they can.

Have you done the Sani? I have to say it doesn't sound like it... blink.gif

I also saw the Sani2c price and thought it's a bit high.

But I want to ride the damn event once and get off my to-do list because if I have to hear from my husband one more time how pretty the valley area is after his Joberg2c races, I'm gonna scream. ;)

This year at Sani2C we got:

A Salomon all weather jacket (Retails for R1200 in the shops)

A Salomon light weight jacket (Retails for about R650 in the shops)

An Aca Joe hoodie jacket (guessing its also close to R1000)

Free beverages, snacks, etc throughout the race village

Free recovery shakes from USN

Chocies and biscuits in our Tents at night

A free face towel.

Furthermore Sani2C is planting trees to neutralise our carbon footprint for doing the event. Have you costed an indigenous sapling lately? Planting 3 trees per rider may cost about R1500 in total.

If it wasn't for the fantastic spsonsors, we would have been paying Epic-type prices for the event.

Try the Tour De Tuli, now thats expensive! I think S2C is great value, thats if one can get in :(