dings in rims

Palaeodom

Found a few dings in my rear wheel rim whilst refilling with sealant. The tyres still seal so they aren't an issue at the moment.

Whe I change tyres whats the best way to deal with these? Will any LBS be able to knock them out?

Most important is to ignore common wisdom in this case. You'll hear lots of suggestions around pliers, shifting spanners and the like. Don't.

You need to stock up on some tools.

First you'll need a flat steel surface. Lets call it an anvil. You can make yourself one from a 100mm length of large channel iron or similar. Mine is a solid piece of square steel about 100 x 100 x 100. It has to have a perfectly flat surface.

Next you need to make yourself a nut whacker. This is a 200mm lengh of 20mm nylon rod, cut perfectly perpendicular at both ends. This you can buy for a couple of rands at Maiseys.

You'll all need a 200gram ball peen hammer and a friend.

Put the anvil on your workbench. Have a friend hold the wheel horizontal and flat on the anvil. By flat I mean that the braking surface/rim sidewall will be on top of the anvil and flush with the side. Obvviously the dent will be on this sweet spot.

Bend down and eye the anvil to rim interface. Have your friend lift or drop depending on what you need to get the rim flat on the anvil. The dent will be flush with the side.

Now put the nut whacker onto the dent. Obviously it has to enter at an angle and that's why the rim has to be flush with the side of the anvil. It allows the lower end of the nut whacker to hang over the end.

Now smack the whacker with the hammer with one sharp blow. Only once.

Inspect the change, alter the position and smack again. Only hit once and then examine.

You should be able to get a 99% perfect side. If you've done it well, you won't even notice the ex-dent when you use rim brakes.

If the rim's rounded inner sidewall is dented. Smack it with the whacker too. Again, one blow at a time.

Do not attempt a shortcut by using a shifting spanner or so. This will leave a nasty crease 5mm down from the rim's ege. Ditto for pliers etc.

Most bike shops don't have a clue in this regard. They just moer and bend and then try and file away the damage.

The tyres still seal so they aren't an issue at the moment.

what the problem is?!!?!??

what the problem is?!!?!??

guess he is having brake shudder on the tricky downhill singletrack :blink:

Like the sound of "nut whacker", good name for a tool used to clobber something with.

Like the sound of "nut whacker", good name for a tool used to clobber something with.

My students have given many of my more unusual tools some unusual names.

Nut Whacker is the most tame.

There is also a nipple grabber (and we're not talking spoke nipples here) that was named so by a chick.

Then there is the snot grubber, nose picker too, muzzle loader and life saver. The latter is a bottle opener bolted to a bench, The others are mere mundne picks, spikes and hooks - all for fishing out O-rings in shock parts.

Thanks JB. there isn't actually any problem at the moment but whe I change the tyres I'd like to take them out just because... I don't have a garage or workspace large enough to do this so how much do you charge to nut whacker my dings?

Thanks JB. there isn't actually any problem at the moment but whe I change the tyres I'd like to take them out just because... I don't have a garage or workspace large enough to do this so how much do you charge to nut whacker my dings?

I like nutwhacking so much that I'll do it for free.

well thats generous of you JB but i'll pay you for your time. I shall give you a shout when i'm in need to some expert nutwhacking.

• 1 year later...

Thanks JB. Your tips worked out perfectly for me. My rim seems to be holding out perfectly at about 4 bar.