Gopro Hero HD 960

mad bout mtb

it would have to be seriously cheaper to justify splitting an already affordable HD solution. Never understood why manufactures would take a step back in a competing market,.

Sound? Hmm, would rather have an option for mic in, unless you dig the wind rushing passed your ears sound and the unmistakable 'knock' of a GoPro.

Price?

Price?

I saw one at DueSouth in Canal Walk for R2499. If I remember correctly, the 1080p model is about R1000 more, or something along those lines?

The main difference is the FPS.

This makes a HUGE difference and if you can i would way rather recommend the HD Hero.

HD Hero = 60 FPS

Hero 960 = 30 FPS

I have the Go Pro. Once we all get Blueray CD writers the investment in full quality will prove to be the wiser choice

So, basically, for R1000 more you get expandability, HD and slow mo.. The quality from GoPro is truly amazing. HD, Slow mo and expandability in a tough little case that fits everywhere and sells for R3600 is dirt cheap to start.

If you think that at some point HD would have been cool, you will need to spend R3600 on top of R2500 to get R1000's more features on a camera that is already priced at consumer pockets, just does not make sense. Smells of profit to me, but in so doing creating a black hole in standards. Remember that your footage at 960 will always limit your footage to only you.. while your friends slap a Tokai Takedown together and your name is left off the credits. oooh

Save for one month longer and get Full HD.. it's cheaper in the long run.. IMO.

Edited by Pain or Shine

I use my GoPro HD for almost all my paragliding flights. It makes for a great log book. And the folks really go 'ooo' and 'aahhh'.

On a normal XC MTB ride I find the coverage a little bit boring because its mostly 2 dimensional.

But I didn't pay R2500 ( i got it for a steal! ) so in my case it was not really worth it paying more

OK, but we will pay 2500. (unless you can steal more and sell them at Nei.. er, the Hub)

This wasn't a sales pitch, it was just my opinion of the camera I bought! If you dont like my view of things then don't read the review! SIMPLE AS THAT!

oooh.

SORRY! Hope I made some sense at least. I'll go now..

This wasn't a sales pitch, it was just my opinion of the camera I bought! If you dont like my view of things then don't read the review! SIMPLE AS THAT!

Except that your review was unresearched and biased, almost a justification to yourself for choosing the cheaper option.

The Gopro Hero HD 960 is the smaller brother of the Hero HD. It's basically the full Gopro but with the 1080p, and extension bus taken out, the advantage of having the smaller version comes down to price. No. It comes down to having full HD footage as opposed to HD footage. It comes down to only shooting at 30 fps as opposed to being able to slow the footage by half if shooting at 60 fps. No extension bus is a big deal too.

I have to say that if you dont have a full HD TV or your arent worried about the missing 1080p the go for the Hero 960. Read above. Also, editing options are limited with less data to process for grades etc.

I have tested it and the results are truly stunning. The device feels like it would last a lifetime, and all of the accessories feel really well put together. Indeed. GoPro has changed a LOT of things for film makers.

The sound and video quality is top notch. It also comes with all the basic mounting pieces you might need. The sound quality is paltry. It's very very far from usable, and light years away from being top notch. Inside the casing, it has a boxy, muffled sound, and you can hear all of the casing sounds, not to mention wind. It's a joke, and one of the flaws of the GP

Bottom line, if you're looking for a decently priced helmet camera with amazing quality build and shooting wise then you cant go wrong with the Gopro Hero HD 960

For the price, it can't be beat. This model is for the amateur film maker, novice, who would like to capture their own ride etc. For serious users, the 1080p is the only way to go. Look out soon as there are new GP models out shortly.

Ok, now the usual posters can step in and assault me with the usual. David, eccentric, drongo et al (oops, wrong term?)

The main difference is the FPS.This makes a HUGE difference and if you can i would way rather recommend the HD Hero.HD Hero = 60 FPSHero 960 = 30 FPS

yup! the FPS will make a big difference when one wants to make slow motion cuts of their shoot. Basically, the 720p 60 FPS of the HD will look just as fluid and smooth at half speed as the 720p 30 FPS of the 960 at regular speed.

I also had to choose between the 2... and the FPS made my ming up! Granted I'll probably never buy the LCD backpac, and I watch most of my stuff off a 13" mackbook, so 1080p vs 720p won't make much difference.... BUT most of my filming will be jumps and DH stuff, so slow motion is gonna be key!

Got mine for R3100 . :) and a 32gig SD card for R430

Same here! Just ordered one from CWC earlier today! Can't wait!

Except that your review was unresearched and biased, almost a justification to yourself for choosing the cheaper option.

For the price, it can't be beat. This model is for the amateur film maker, novice, who would like to capture their own ride etc. For serious users, the 1080p is the only way to go. Look out soon as there are new GP models out shortly.

Ok, now the usual posters can step in and assault me with the usual. David, eccentric, drongo et al (oops, wrong term?)

Especially seeing as the extra premium is only R 1k or so. For superior picture quality, frame rate & connectivity... Erm - let me think. Which one would I go for.

Actually, I'm a cheap bastard, so I'd go for an imported version.

Oh, I shoulda known.. Here is prime example! Nice one dude! You have a real way with words! What, did the poster misunderstand you and remove the post because you did not launch a personal attack?

A pattern is forming and look, you've left a trail. Real professional!

Whatever happened to a healthy debate?

No, my point was not only serious users should get the full HD model.. The fact GRB, is that the price makes it affordable for anyone looking to future-proof their investment and stay compatible. Seriaaas! :P

Sorry Mad. I spotted a flaw in the reasoning behind GoPro marketing a lower specc'd model based on feature removal. And this AFTER offering the flagship at a VERY reasonable price. The slower FPS is such a big advantage at this cost/feature set. Plus if you have the knowledge, the camera offers a great platform to get busy crunching a 1000+ FPS sequence in Twixtor. Just plan your shots with the limitations of software based timeshifts and suddenly you too are you are a professional. A serious user like GRB!

A thorough review would test the other available models and highlight limitations when the difference is so close. I offered this input.. again. I apologise if I offended you.

I use my GoPro HD for almost all my paragliding flights. It makes for a great log book. And the folks really go 'ooo' and 'aahhh'.

On a normal XC MTB ride I find the coverage a little bit boring because its mostly 2 dimensional.

that's cos XC is boring and 2 dimensional :P haha!

just kidding, but come dirt jumping and you'll get some 'ooh' and 'aaah' footage ;)