Bains mtb Trails - Wellington.

The Search

Sad to hear it being neglected.

The trails are still cool, just the burnt trees that have blown all over them...

Think I cleared 90% away on my ride, but the remaining 10% will require a chainsaw...

Edited by Raydek

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad to hear it being neglected.

Its not really neglect, its a working farm, and with all the fire and wind causing havoc I am pretty sure they can be forgiven fixes the parts of the farm that actually bring them an income. they will get to the trails when the rest is sorted, I am pretty sure.

Otherwise why not contact them and go help him out to clear trails I am sure he can use the manpower. 

Guys there is a tremendous amount of work going into those trails by Pieter v Wyk. There is a bunch of new stuff on the doolhof side as well now. The wind and fires caused havoc but they do take care of it as quick as they can with the amount of help he has to his disposal

Hi guys. There is a lot of trails and a lot of burnt trees after the fire that blows over everytime the wind start pumping. The trails get checked frequently, this is very time consuming and everybody involved got a real job to.

Sorry for the inconvenience, we always try and sort problems out asap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Search, I have a question from a not-wanting-to-peeve-anybody stance. 

I have previously consulted with the guys in the store at the start and went for a short run after a ride. But how does it work if I just want to come through for a lekker run?

Firstly, my board is attached to my bike so... how do I prove I am an annual member?

Secondly - I will obviously keep an ear out for riders, esp on the fast sections. But is running allowed on singletrack sections or must I try to use it minimally and preferably stick to the wider stretches... which may be difficult if I want to go for a long run. Or are there preferable sections for running?

Like I said, I just want to make sure of what's do-able and what not up front, before I wetten some batteries. And the guys that knows me, knows I am not the inconsiderate type! I will definitely make way for bikes - RAPIDLY! 

Hi SeaBee. Not an easy one to answer. Need to discuss and come back to you.

I know this is a problem for Tygerberg Mountain Bike Club. Problem is probably the permit and everybody is not considerate.

It is a beautiful place to run.

Hi SeaBee. Not an easy one to answer. Need to discuss and come back to you.

I know this is a problem for Tygerberg Mountain Bike Club. Problem is probably the permit and everybody is not considerate.

It is a beautiful place to run.

Maybe chat to the Helderberg Trails guys. I know they welcome the trail runners.

I think the onus is on the trail runners to watch out for riders and on both the riders and runners to not be a chop when they meet each other on the trail.

Sadly both sports have way too many chops among them now.

Search, I spoke to the guy at the shop yesterday and he confirmed they actually sell day running permits.

So it seems anybody can run there - the guy also said he's pretty sure it's included in my annual fee.  But obviously if I bring somebody else along, they must pay the fee. If you can confirm, it'll be great. Can also mail the guys at Adventure and try and get some response there.

We have a lot to run in Paarl mountain, but just once a blue moon for variety, this will be great! 

• 2 weeks later...

Search, I spoke to the guy at the shop yesterday and he confirmed they actually sell day running permits. So it seems anybody can run there - the guy also said he's pretty sure it's included in my annual fee.  But obviously if I bring somebody else along, they must pay the fee. If you can confirm, it'll be great. Can also mail the guys at Adventure and try and get some response there. We have a lot to run in Paarl mountain, but just once a blue moon for variety, this will be great!

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, you could go and run there. You need to take your permit with you. Daypermits are available.

Cyclists always have right of way. A 7.5km walking/ jogging course will be opened soon.

Enjoy

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

what's the status of the trails at the moment? Want to come and do the Blue or White over Easter (can't remember which is the long one) after having done the Black the last couple of times. Are all the trails still open?