Custom Frame Builders

yeboabe

Anybody know of any custom frame builders in SA, steel, alu or Carbon - mtb and road!?!?

Or local courses one can do to learn!?!?

Anybody know of any custom frame builders in SA, steel, alu or Carbon - mtb and road!?!?

Get hold of that guy who has been doing the historical articles for Ride. He seems to know that kinda stuff.

I think one of the last true framebuilders in SA is Francois du Toit.

www.dutoitcycles.co.za

Pretty keen to weld a frame myself - think it will be a cool project...and cheaper than a Pegoretti :P

for my own interest, why would you want a custom built frame?

Why not? and you get to choose all the good parts that work for you!!

Why not? and you get to choose all the good parts that work for you!!

the parts i understand, the frame not.

Then you can get the frame to be perfect for your body. If you have long legs then you can get a bigger frame with short top tube. Or you like a more relaxed head angle. Alot of things can be changed if you go custom.

Then you can get the frame to be perfect for your body. If you have long legs then you can get a bigger frame with short top tube. Or you like a more relaxed head angle. Alot of things can be changed if you go custom.

now i understand. fair point. :thumbup:

You have many bridges to cross but if you are determined, you'll get there.

Some pointers.

1) Don't worry about a framebuilder quitel yet. These okes now all have other jobs and getting them to build you a frame is al mission. They are no longer plugged into sourcing stuff and can't give a damn about your sizing etc. But don't give up.

2) Start with the components you want. Go to Ceeway, I think their website is www.framebuilder.com. Perhaps even Ceeway.com. Get an idea of the stuff that is available. Like I said, the framebuilder you eventually find wont even have internet, so just do all the research yourself.

3) Buy your stuff from Ceewaty once you've decided and buy two tubesets - one cheapo and one that you like, like Columbus Neuron or whatever.

4) Open your parcel and play with your lugs. Go to Youtube and look up how to mitre the tubes. Do it on the cheap tubeset. It is quite a skill and you'll no doubt mess up your first one.

5) Now decide on your geometry. When I did my frame I simply copied an existing bike's angles and added to it. The bit I added was extra-long chainstays and extra-deep reach brakes. This would allow me to fit panniers as well as large tyres. The geometry is a mysterty at first but once you've discovered that the lugs are "flexible", you're a for away. I say flexible but basically the tubes are loose-fitting so that you can braze in the angle that you want.

6) Check the American framebuilder websites and work done by the okes at the Framebuilders Guild. Now order more stuff from Calfee. Add extra braze-ons, prettier lugs etc.

7) Now take a bottle of whisky and go to Cape Town or one of these zuhaa places and find your framebuilder. Lure him out of his comfort zone with money and said bottle. Tell him he doesn't have to think, just set up and braze. Get him to practice on the cheapo tubes first.

8) Now find a painter that can mask and paint lugs. When you have found him/her, let me know.

I still have some spare lugs and maybe even pieces of tube left over from my similar project. You are welcome to borrow/take/inspect these for inspiration.

But remember, don't let the lack of a framebuilder stop you. You will find one but you have lots of homework to do first.