Why does my Baby cost me so much!!!

-DH-

So i decide to go ride street to practice some skills at night cause i work and all ..

I Ride 50 meters out and bam one of the links on the chain f... out god knows why making the rear Derailleur and drop out hook onto the spokes subsequently bending the 2 components (deraileur/drop out).

So i presumed it cant be that bad cost wise, bend here and there.

Today i get the call R1060 for Derailleur and the drop out with labor ,

Look on a site the same Derailleur cost R500 but here is the issue don't have anyone to help out for FIX

Anyone keen on making a buck on the side when i **** up and cant fix myself.

So i decide to go ride street to practice some skills at night cause i work and all ..

I Ride 50 meters out and bam one of the links on the chain f... out god knows why making the rear Derailleur and drop out hook onto the spokes subsequently bending the 2 components (deraileur/drop out).

Look on a site the same Derailleur cost R500 but here is the issue don't have anyone to help out for FIX

U need to learn to do the fixes yourself. Go buy the parktool big blue book on bicycle repairs or just google it. Replacing a hanger and a derailer is fairly straight forward. The limit screws are a bitch though.

U need to learn to do the fixes yourself. Go buy the parktool big blue book on bicycle repairs or just google it. Replacing a hanger and a derailer is fairly straight forward. The limit screws are a bitch though.

+1 , even if you just change everything over and the really technical bits get the shop to do it.

I feel your pain! had the same thing happen while messing around on my 4X bike. Derailleur caught in spokes. Mangled cage with a peice broken off (SRAM X9 short cage... plastic nonsense), most of the teeth stripped off the jockey wheels, and derailleur hanger bent (which surprised me, cos morewood derailleur hangers are pretty beefy.

Cost me quite a bit more though... R360 for hanger. R830 for saint RD. R500 for Saint shifter. Did the labour myself though.

if its just a derailleur and hanger its easy. Check out youtube as well, you can find anything on there.

Hanger and derailleur attachment is very easy, just tighten it to the correct torque.

http://youtu.be/Z3bVgP_MNwc

Edited by Chubba

+1 , even if you just change everything over and the really technical bits get the shop to do it.

There is nothing "really technical" on a bicycle. Only maybe shell facing and wheel building. But that can be learned aswell.

You have an expensive LBS and you need to take the plunge in learning to do the basics on your own bike .. will save you tons of Z.A.R

Thanks for the replies guys

Its not learning to do it myself that scares me im quite passionate about the sport and quite frankly i have moved from being annoyed with lego to be annoyed with getting MTB components on right

It is the adjustments im scared of i always think that the adjustment is not to its best because im the one who did it

thanks for the you tube video bro makes sense

Thanks for the replies guys

Its not learning to do it myself that scares me im quite passionate about the sport and quite frankly i have moved from being annoyed with lego to be annoyed with getting MTB components on right

It is the adjustments im scared of i always think that the adjustment is not to its best because im the one who did it

thanks for the you tube video bro makes sense

Fit it and set it up .. worst case scenario you end up just getting the LBS to fine tune your rear der.

Or fiddle and fiddle till you come right.

On a side note, what is the perfect distance between the upper jockey wheel and the big and small cog at the back?

I understand you use the b tension bolt for this adjustment.

Just want to clarify the distance to have.

On a side note, what is the perfect distance between the upper jockey wheel and the big and small cog at the back?

I understand you use the b tension bolt for this adjustment.

Just want to clarify the distance to have.

i guess this would vary on chain length and cassette/chainring sizing?

Edited by Chubba

i guess this would vary on chain length and cassette/chainring sizing?

Ja u would have to adjust it if you changed the cassette and chain etc.

But what distance would you want to keep between the chain and the cogs is my question?

Limit screws are moer easy :thumbup: - all it does is stop the derailer at the top and bottom....

There is nothing "really technical" on a bicycle. Only maybe shell facing and wheel building. But that can be learned aswell.

+1 - I will straighten my wheel no prob, but to dish a wheel - I'd rather leave it to the trained guys with experience.

For some, applying lube is technical.