DH tips to stay fast and safe

DownhillingKing

1. Always wear a helmet, wear body armor as well when needed (how much depends on course, and what you find to be suitable) at all times.

2. Look ahead of you. The faster you are going the further ahead you should look.

3. Make sure your tires have appropriate tread on them and are not cracking/damaged

4. Get enough sleep before riding and especially before racing.

6. Never put copper slip grease on the back of your brake pads. As they heat up the grease melts and absorbs into the pads resulting in instant brake failure as you reach that corner after the road crossing. . .

Edited by jimmy hardtail

10 (and I can't claim credit for this, I'm quoting someone else): Trees don't move - try to avoid them :thumbup:

7. Wear dirty jocks as you going to soil them anyways!

Rather wear clean jocks, there may be a HOT nurse in the ER.

7. Wear dirty jocks as you going to soil them anyways!

Wear clean jocks because .........

Oh hell, I can't think straight after seeing that nurse.....what was I going to say again....?

Edited by DJR

Clean your chain every so often, once a week if you can. After every ride preferably.

Check that your brakes are aligned according to the steepness of the terrain. It's little things like these that can move your CoG just a few mm in the wrong direction adversely affecting your ride, and your speed.

Guest Omega Man

n) Don't ride the Contermanskloof DH track without a DH bike.

@#$ me, that thing is steep!

If you think that's steep don't go to Chatel.