Road Wheelset for Heavier Riders

MartinO

Can anyone give me some advice on a road wheelset for a heavier rider... I am 120kg+ and put a little stress on the wheelset. My LBS has suggested Mavic Open Pro 32spoke onto an ultegra hub.. Any thoughts and comments?

Edited by MartinO

Can anyone give me some advice on a road wheelset for a heavier rider... I am 120kg+ and put a little stress on the wheelset. My LBS has suggested Mavic Open Pro 32spoke onto an ultegra hub.. Any thoughts and comments?

Sounds good, also Velocity 32 spoke, Easton Vistas. I'm not an expert, but a higher spoke count is probably better.

We ride the Velocity 32 spokes on our tandem (170kgs total), so you'll be quite safe.

We use 36 spoke Shimano Tandem Hubs on our Tandem with DRC ST 17 36 hole rims. Our combined mass is 190kg. We have a MTB wheelset also built with DRC ST 17 rims for the Mtb Tandem but a 32 hole wheelset. We use slicks on these rims and they last. I would suggest you go for the Ultegra hub with a DRC ST 17 rims. Just get a good wheelbuilder. If you are in Johannesburg or surroundings contact Johan Bornman at johan@yellowsadle.co.za

We use 36 spoke Shimano Tandem Hubs on our Tandem with DRC ST 17 36 hole rims. Our combined mass is 190kg. We have a MTB wheelset also built with DRC ST 17 rims for the Mtb Tandem but a 32 hole wheelset. We use slicks on these rims and they last. I would suggest you go for the Ultegra hub with a DRC ST 17 rims. Just get a good wheelbuilder. If you are in Johannesburg or surroundings contact Johan Bornman at johan@yellowsadle.co.za

I like the DRC rim usage,bulletproof stuff,also the Novatech sealed bearing hubs are another option for the hub possibility.

As mentioned DRC are very strong i have the 36 hole and have yet to break a spoke, Mavic open Pro and if you like bling Easton Circuits, worst wheels i've found for heavier riders are Alex rims.

Edited by scotty