Coronation Double Century 2011

Is there any hubber that is able to give advice wrt training for the DC?

I have been part of a team who has completed the DC twice. Sadly we are always the last team in. Once within the stipulated time period and once out of the time. This was very disappointing for me. :(

The motto has alsways been to bring all riders home together. Although I did not agree, this has been achieved. :thumbup:

You must understand that we are a social team and not all the riders no each other. Every year we have about 7 new riders. The strenghths, stamina, age and gender in the team vary considerably.

Our weekly training rides are haphazard without much structure and vision.

This year I would like to play more of a leadership role in the team, but need to come with some sound advice and ideas wrt our training.

Seasoned hubbers are asked to be of assistance and any constructive help would be appreciated.

(view my gallery to see last years pics of our team on the DC)

looking at the pictures in your gallery, maybe if you guys didnt stop all the time to take photos and rode you wouldnt be last for starters?

A structured training program is essential. You have to get the team commited to that. If you don't train you don't ride.

Train together and do al least 4 150km+ rides before the DC

Isn't that a bit excessive for a 'social' team? maybe right for a top team?

Yeah man, long distance riding as a group at the pace you are looking at doing. The only way to get stronger and become a 'unit' is to ride together, learn each other's strengths and weaknesses.

Just remember, the reason you are finishing last is because of bad prep work. Your team is varied in strengths so it going to be difficult for the faster guys to keep a slow pace.

I rode with a recreational team last year, also mixed strengths - 9hrs 10min later we finished. I said never again will I do it with a vastly varied mixed strength bunch. Our captain bailed just after Ashton and we rode on. About 15Km later our team vehicle, which stopped and assisted the person, tells us that the person is back on the bike and riding - we were asked whether we were gonna wait or leave them solo.

We decided to wait as this person had already had 1 attempt and 0 finish. That person bombed not too long after joining us again. We wasted 1 hour in unscheduled stops. Not what you want on a DC ride, racing or recreational. We discovered that the person hadn't put in the necessary training to do the DC and therefore was dreaming at finishing their second attempt.

As UDXCOB said, do long rides together and do the One Tonner later this year as a trial run for the DC.

Thanks so much guys.

Tiny K took the words right out of my mouth. This is my 2nd year of frustration on the DC. The weaker guys drain all the stronger riders energy.

I really like the social aspect and finishing within the stipulated time.

In summary from what has been received:

1. A training roster

2. Committment from all the riders

3. Weekly rides

4. At least 4-5 rides of 150-160km

5. Rotation in the peleton

6. Do the One Tonner7

7. Get rid of dead wood

If anyone can assist with more detailed specifics it would be appreciated. I know you dont want to let your team tactics out of the bag, but believe me, the team I ride with will definetly not be a threat.

Ideas on the training roster?

How do you break the DC up wrt stops?

Do I work 'backwards'? Time we wish to complete the DC divided by the lengh to get to an avergae speed!

Again a big thanx to those who already posted comments.

looking at the pictures in your gallery, maybe if you guys didnt stop all the time to take photos and rode you wouldnt be last for starters?

hahaha - chirp of the day

Make sure that everyone on your team is aware and has agreed on a target time.

Make sure that everyone then trains accordingly.

Regular group rides will reveal who is training and who isnt.

Ride at the same speed that you would on the day, practice taking turns at the front etc.

Get your group dynamics set up nicely, ie strong riders must not ride off the front etc.

Make sure that everyone's bike is serviced and tyres are in good nic on the day. Mechanicals can really stuff up your day.

(We had 8 punctures last year!!!)

On the day, keep your stops short. You can waste a lot of time faffing at each stop.

Agree on a stop strategy for the day. 2,3 or 4 stops. It helps to break the ride up into smaller 'stages'.

Make sure you keep everything on the fun side.

It is a fun ride after all.

Work out your desired time, factor in the number of stops and then end up with average speed. Also consider mechanical/unscheduled stops.

As a social team we limited our stops to 5 minutes and had about two stops in the first 100 and around 4 in the last 100. The first 100 is a distance requiring fewer stops. Breaking up the last 100 is key.

rotating riders on the front (ie 1-2 minutes per pair) using two lines is also good, then the stronger riders can be used more often later on.

It's a fun event s have fun!! take pics, chat and take it easy :thumbup:

Work out your desired time, factor in the number of stops and then end up with average speed. Also consider mechanical/unscheduled stops.

As a social team we limited our stops to 5 minutes and had about two stops in the first 100 and around 4 in the last 100. The first 100 is a distance requiring fewer stops. Breaking up the last 100 is key.

rotating riders on the front (ie 1-2 minutes per pair) using two lines is also good, then the stronger riders can be used more often later on.

It's a fun event s have fun!! take pics, chat and take it easy :thumbup:

re 5 min stops - That is what our plan was too. Did it well for the first stop, and then the wheels fell off.

We planned our first stop on Op De Tradouw, 2nd in Montague, 3rd in Bonnievale (I think - by then I didn't care), last stop was on top of the first biggish hills on the way back to Swellendam.

Had two puncture stops, one 15min food stop and one loooooong wait for team captain.

Agree with rotating, keeps the guys sharp. You aren't pacing it so two lines are good. Makes the world of a difference in mixed strength groups.... slow guys can't draft when the faster guys are out front. Makes it difficult for the faster guys to ride slower than their natural comfortable pace.

Agree with the discussions and commitment - weeds the guys out with regards to who is in for the long haul and those that think 'hey, this sounds fun'.... until the first actual far training ride.

Good luck man! :thumbup:

Excellent comments coming through. Making lotsa notes.

Thanks all esp. SPLAT, b-rad & Tiny K

Any ideas on the training needed to the run-up of the DC?

Should we be starting with a 60km ride and increase this weekly by say 20km?

What average speed are we looking at during the practice rides, remembering that this is a varied team of strenghts?

Flats or climbs or both?

Again, much appreciated.

You should probably be training 3 times a week and build up your weekly mileage as you get closer.

A weekday 40km, then a long one on Sat and a recovery ride on Sunday is nice

I find that back to back days are good for endurance.

You should build quickly to 100+ km training rides and do several 120km rides.

Perhaps the 4 passes route and the one tonner two rides you should do as a team.

Its going to be difficult (impossible) to get the whole team together every weekend. Those who dont pitch up @ team rides should be making up the training on their own.

You have ridden the route, so you know what its like. Your training rides should be similar. i.e. mostly flat with 1 decent climb and then some sh!tty rolling hills towards the end. Your average speed will depend on your target time, less your stops. Aim to train slightly faster than that (because your traininng rides arent as far as the DC, so they should be faster).

You should practice your bunch riding so that you can ride efficiently as a group, especially if it gets windy.

I chatted to a buddy on Friday and they had done a route from the Virgin Active in Green Point through Clifton and Camps Bay over the back of Suikerbossie, over Chappies, over Black Hill / Glencairn Expressway, through Simons' Town, down Red Hill, back over Black Hill, Chappies, Suikerbossie and back to the VA.

Yeah, that is a very excessively hilly, but you can rather do a flatish route from a meeting point, or doing the Argus route plus a few extra turns to get more mileage.

• 3 months later...

How did your training go? Did you manage to get the team together, are you riding, are you fit, are you ready and are you keen??