Another rant on poor cycling...

jonnow

So I was super lucky where I have to work this morning. Woohoo. thumbdown.gif

I live in the Sandton area and I drive past Melrose Arch to get onto the highway. There were a number of guys (and maybe gals) who were riding into Melrose arch, all wearing black/yellow/red cycling kit who were headed toward Melrose Arch, and I assume that it was a club ride. The one cyclist took up the whole lane that I had to move over almost entirely onto the oncoming lane and the other cyclists were no where near the side of the lane dry.gif. I ride a road bike sometimes so I thought that maybe it was just cause they were fresh on the bike for the morning. So I thought that I would just leave it. THEN. ANOTHER INCIDENThuh.gif. I'm driving past the entrance closer to the highway at Athol-Oaklands side and the cyclist turns right into Melrose, cutting the corner so he didn't have to stop for me to have my right of way.

Now I know that it was before 7am on a Sunday and the roads don't seem to be that busy, but there was a BidVest walk on today. So that means that there are hundreds of extra cars in the area today. All it would have taken was for me to be in a rush and someone could have ben hurt.

PLEASE!! I ask all the guys that were out there this morning, to be a little more careful. I want to freak every time a cyclist gets hurt or killed but sometimes it is the cyclists fault. We are coming into season and EVERYONE needs to please be more careful.

Edited by jonnow

Why "roadies". MTBers are even worse when they get near tar...

So, instead of being so negative and making dumb@ss comments:

It sounds like Capri Wheelers on their way to their Sunday morning Club ride. Contact their Club chairman (politely) and let him know about his members. His name is Leon Kramer: leonjkramer@mweb.co.za.

Whether I complain or kill one of them, I am going to be a dumbass. So heck, whatever.

But thank you for the contact details. I will email him now.

Why generalise on the fact that they are roadies. Maybe its because they live in the northern suburbs and have a superiority complex.

Why generalise on the fact that they are roadies. Maybe its because they live in the northern suburbs and have a superiority complex.

+1

It's amazing how that attitude lets people think they can take on 1.5 tonnes of steel with 10kgs of carbon...

Dumbass comment, def not

Give the oke a break. all he is asking is for the okes to ride better

The "dumbass" referred to the "roadie" slag. The rest I agree with 110%.

Ok, as a roadie and an MTB'er, I apologise for the generalisation. I will edit the post now.

But I still think that they were in the wrong. My 1.5 tonnes of steel shouldn't be forced to reckon with 1.5 tonnes of steel of oncoming steel because a cyclist decideds to use an entire lane for his bike. I have no problems giving guys more than their far share of the road when they are riding responsibly.

Ok, as a roadie and an MTB'er, I apologise for the generalisation. I will edit the post now.

But I still think that they were in the wrong. My 1.5 tonnes of steel shouldn't be forced to reckon with 1.5 tonnes of steel of oncoming steel because a cyclist decideds to use an entire lane for his bike. I have no problems giving guys more than their far share of the road when they are riding responsibly.

:clap: Love ya, dude! Peace, happiness and friendship all round!!

As I stated earlier, your point is a valid one we all agree with and it's an ongoing problem. Education and peer pressure are the way to go...

Edited by jmaccelari

Oh yes, and I have emailed the club in a polite manner.

I'm not wanting to slate anyone, but everyone jumps up and down when a cyclist is hurt or killed, but no-one comments on whether the cyclist was in the right or wrong. There are good and bad drivers of cars,and the same applies to everything else. I'm not saying I'm a good cyclist or ever a good driver, but I believe in telling people when they are wrong so they can 'fix' their mistake or problem.

Anyway... I need to go work now.thumbdown.gif

a cyclist decideds to use an entire lane for his bike.

As he is legally allowed to do. I agree that as a considerate road user he should move over, when it is safe for him to do so, to allow cars to pass. He is, however, not obliged to do this.

As he is legally allowed to do. I agree that as a considerate road user he should move over, when it is safe for him to do so, to allow cars to pass. He is, however, not obliged to do this.

Agreed, but don't be an a$$ and ride in the middle of the lane if it is safe to ride just off the yellow line :thumbdown: .... the rest of his buddies were fine to stick to the side of the road :blink:

For example, this morning I rode from my place up Du Toit's pass - where there was two lanes, I rode in the middle of the slower lane, where it narrowed to one, I stuck about 30cm from the yellow line.

Tell that to the 18 wheeler semi behind you with a Bibendum the Michelin Man tied to the bull bar that is strong enough to kill a whole herd of Fresian Cows on the road.

I hear you whimpering!