Slimed Tubes

Hector

I ride with Slimed Tubes. Once a month I clean the wheels properly by removing the tyre and tube. This morning I found I had 10 thorns pricks in my slimed tube (slime oozed out slightly when I pumped up the tube). Not once did I have to 'fix a puncture' on my rides. I used a 'skab' to seal some of the bigger holes, added another 100ml of slime to the tube and good to go for another month off road riding. By keeping your slimed tubes properly slimed, you should not have punctures from small thorns.

I am also a 100% believer in tubes with sealant. In my first year + of MTB training and racing I only ran tubes with sealant, then switched to racing with tubeless and training tubed. The only reason I prefer tubeless is no more pinch flats and that I can run them at my prefered pressure which unfortunetly on tubes increases the risk of a pinch flat - happy to risk a pinch flat training.

How often should one replace the slime in the tube, once a month, can one keep using the same tube or if there a life span on the tube itself?

How often should one replace the slime in the tube, once a month, can one keep using the same tube or if there a life span on the tube itself?

You don't replace the sealant, you just top it up.

You don't replace the sealant, you just top it up.

How can one work out how much to top it up by? Half in each tube?

Tubeless is the way to go, used to run extra thick slimed tubes & liners, but have never looked back since converting to tubeless.

Just my 2c worth :thumbup:

Edited by oupasokker