Entering my first event

Skidmark

Salut!

So I'm entering my first competitive event next month: http://www.edcc.co.za/port-elizabeth-2011/

I'm looking for some tips & pointers from seasoned competitors: What to bring with to the event ( besides my bike :P ), what to be aware of etc etc.. Just any pointers that you think might be useful to a new cyclist about to pop his competitive event cherry :)

Thanks!

Based on the route profile, the climb round about 58km is going to hurt if you dont climb well. So first thing I would recommend is that you don't get to carried away by the excitement. You have to pace yourself. The last 35 doesn't look to bad. So if you manage to get past that big climb with lots left in the fuel tank, you can go hard to the end.

Second thing. Make sure you take on enough fluids. You don't want to de-hydrate, that will spoil the whole experince for you. At least a 750ml bottle every 2 hours. Also, eat something regularly, at least every hour.

Thirdly. Make sure you can change a tube, I know this sounds stupid, but there are so many people that are just clueless. And carry 2 spare tubes with you.

Based on the route profile, the climb round about 58km is going to hurt if you dont climb well. So first thing I would recommend is that you don't get to carried away by the excitement. You have to pace yourself. The last 35 doesn't look to bad. So if you manage to get past that big climb with lots left in the fuel tank, you can go hard to the end.

Second thing. Make sure you take on enough fluids. You don't want to de-hydrate, that will spoil the whole experince for you. At least a 750ml bottle every 2 hours. Also, eat something regularly, at least every hour.

Thirdly. Make sure you can change a tube, I know this sounds stupid, but there are so many people that are just clueless. And carry 2 spare tubes with you.

EXACTLY the kinda feedback I was looking for, thank you canfan.

Yeah gonna be working hard on my climbing in the weeks leading up to the event.

Fluids... yes, I carry 2 750 bottles on my bike, so got that covered and will carry a couple Jungle Oats bars on me.

Good point.. I have all the equipment, but haven't actually done a change in a while. Will do a test run this afternoon.

Much appreciated :)

Fluids... yes, I carry 2 750 bottles on my bike, so got that covered and will carry a couple Jungle Oats bars on me.

Good point.. I have all the equipment, but haven't actually done a change in a while. Will do a test run this afternoon.

Skidmark,

The route looks like fun, can't remember when last there was such a road race in PE.

Skidmark,

The route looks like fun, can't remember when last there was such a road race in PE.

Ya looking at the events calendar they're mostly 12-30km's, so stoked to see a nice long one :)

Ya looking at the events calendar they're mostly 12-30km's, so stoked to see a nice long one :)

Where abouts is that uphills?? On the route?

Where abouts is that uphills?? On the route?

You mean where are the uphills on the route? Not 100% sure...

Holy Crap you carry two thousand seven hundred and fifty bottles...you either thirsty or you a bottle carrier for all the TDF Teams :D :D :D

Holy Crap you carry two thousand seven hundred and fifty bottles...you either thirsty or you a bottle carrier for all the TDF Teams :D :D :D

All that bottles.... :clap:

I'm trying to visualize the route, that the long route will follow.

Lol... I try to get a constant flow going... its bound to happen if you drink enough right?

I'm trying to visualize the route, that the long route will follow.

Ah ok, yeah I'm planning to take a drive on the route this wknd.. get a feel for it.

Hey Skidmark

Do the Makro/Lorriane primary school race the 10th Sept,90km

Will be good introduction to racing and it takes you over pretty the same route.