Potberg MTB 75km

Mr Legs

I was "forced" to enter this event. :))

Can any one give me info on the route profile and the terrain.

I was "forced" to enter this event. :))

Can any one give me info on the route profile and the terrain.

Bump

• 2 weeks later...

Bump

Now I know why I did not receive any replies. It is a small race, I guess less than 40 racers started the 75km. There was an option during the race to bail and only do the 55km route, I assume more than one rider choose that option, wisely as you will notice later. We climbed about 1300m. The route had a bit of everything, singletrack, farm road, a long but easy'ish climb at about 30k's, followed by a short, but steep and wet singletrack down hill, and then some more dirt roads. I rode the first 50k's with my buddy (it was his birthday). I then realised that we will not make the 5 hour cut off if we continued at that pace and decided to pick up the pace. Only problem was that the section from 50km to about 68km first presented a short sharp uphill that forced me down to granny gear and out of the saddle. You had to work really hard, then followed a few k's of extremely rocky brush cut "road". Also needed aggresive pedalling to negotiate those 8 or 9 k's. A sandy section next to the sea was next.

At the water table overlooking the sea, a marshall attempted to show me where one could see some whales, but I was only concerned with the survival of one species at that stage, ie Mr Legs and I did not even look up. The last 10 or so k's was gravel again and I rode at my limit and just made the cut off with about a minute to spare. Mrs Legs was very miffed that we missed the prize giving, as she has a good record with lucky draws (two prizes at a previous race) , but I was secretly happy with the fact that I could increase the pace after 3,5 hours and keep it up for another 1,5 hour.

Race organiser Niel Neethling is super friendly, he is a farmer from the area and a keen mountain biker.I heared from Niel that they are introducing a permit system for rides in the reserve, lots of trails and farm roads to train in the area.

We rented a farm house in the area and had a good birthday party last night, no neighbours to complain about noise, unless you count the few thousand sheep.

Sounds like you had a lekka weekend! :thumbup:

Suppose it is difficult for a small race out in the bundus to pull the crowds when there are a big race like Gravel Travel just around the corner.

Suppose it is difficult for a small race out in the bundus to pull the crowds when there are a big race like Gravel Travel just around the corner.

True and Gravel Travel is a great race, but going out into the country and exploring new routes is to my mind close to the true spirit of mountain biking.

Now I know why I did not receive any replies. It is a small race, I guess less than 40 racers started the 75km. There was an option during the race to bail and only do the 55km route, I assume more than one rider choose that option, wisely as you will notice later. We climbed about 1300m. The route had a bit of everything, singletrack, farm road, a long but easy'ish climb at about 30k's, followed by a short, but steep and wet singletrack down hill, and then some more dirt roads. I rode the first 50k's with my buddy (it was his birthday). I then realised that we will not make the 5 hour cut off if we continued at that pace and decided to pick up the pace. Only problem was that the section from 50km to about 68km first presented a short sharp uphill that forced me down to granny gear and out of the saddle. You had to work really hard, then followed a few k's of extremely rocky brush cut "road". Also needed aggresive pedalling to negotiate those 8 or 9 k's. A sandy section next to the sea was next.

At the water table overlooking the sea, a marshall attempted to show me where one could see some whales, but I was only concerned with the survival of one species at that stage, ie Mr Legs and I did not even look up. The last 10 or so k's was gravel again and I rode at my limit and just made the cut off with about a minute to spare. Mrs Legs was very miffed that we missed the prize giving, as she has a good record with lucky draws (two prizes at a previous race) , but I was secretly happy with the fact that I could increase the pace after 3,5 hours and keep it up for another 1,5 hour.

Race organiser Niel Neethling is super friendly, he is a farmer from the area and a keen mountain biker.I heared from Niel that they are introducing a permit system for rides in the reserve, lots of trails and farm roads to train in the area.

We rented a farm house in the area and had a good birthday party last night, no neighbours to complain about noise, unless you count the few thousand sheep.

I did the 55km and finished in just under 4hrs. It was tough, especially the muddy sections, but really beautiful. Wonderful to ride in such a stunning place and have it almost all to oneself! Thank you Niel and team for organising this event. I shall definitely be back for more next year.