MTB Tyres, what to get?

rvdm1

I recently bought a secondhand merida. It's fitted with maxxis crossmark tyres but they need replacing. I need a tyre that is both affordable and a good all-round tyre. So far I've looked at Kenda karma and continental race king tyres, but I really don't know what I should get, any suggestions?

2.2 or 2.4 Mountain king front, 2.2 Race king behind.

It's called an X-King now i believe.

Race king sounds good but the mountain king looks to be a bit more expensive (after buying the bike I'm kinda short on cash). Also, what is the difference between the wirebead and kevlar foldup, is it mainly weight or are there other performance factors as well?

Edited by rvdm1

Monorail front, x-mark rear. Choose whichever x-mark is best, stick that on the back, buy a new monorail for the front.

Save the price of a tyre, better than the MK / RK combo.

Race king sounds good but the mountain king looks to be a bit more expensive (after buying the bike I'm kinda short on cash). Also, what is the difference between the wirebead and kevlar foldup, is it mainly weight or are there other performance factors as well?

Mntn King

I recently put on Schwalbe Smart Sam 2,25 front and 2,1 rear.

They are wire bead tyres as I still havent made the transition to tubeless. From my limited amount of knowledge, they seem to be in the Crossmark category.

Their sidewalls are thin, but apparently quite strong and they are much lighter than my previous tyres. They retail for around R150 each, and according to me you get a lot of tyre for your R's

My training partner also fittedt the Monorail front Crossmark back combination. His are fold-ups. They seem softer that Wire beads, which means they allow for a more comfortable ride. Thats all according to him.

I would suggest, you figure out what is the max you can splash out on tyres and buy the best you can afford.

Edited by RudoJ

I recently put on Schwalbe Smart Sam 2,25 front and 2,1 rear.

They are wire bead tyres as I still havent made the transition to tubeless. From my limited amount of knowledge, they seem to be in the Crossmark category.

Their sidewalls are thin, but apparently quite strong and they are much lighter than my previous tyres. They retail for around R150 each, and according to me you get a lot of tyre for your R's

My training partner also fittedt the Monorail front Crossmark back combination. His are fold-ups. They seem softer that Wire beads, which means they allow for a more comfortable ride. Thats all according to him.

I would suggest, you figure out what is the max you can splash out on tyres and buy the best you can afford.

Thanks, will have a look at the SmartSams. If that is the only major difference between the fold-ups and wirebead I'll go for wirebead(the more affordable option).

I'll go for wirebead(the more affordable option).

my main consideration as well, enjoy the shopping and riding off course!

2.2 or 2.4 Mountain king front, 2.2 Race king behind.

+1 great combo, great tyres. Also hear the Mountain King has undergone a name change, possibly design as well, hence not a Mountain King.

+1 great combo, great tyres. Also hear the Mountain King has undergone a name change, possibly design as well, hence not a Mountain King.

There is now a mountain king II, and a X king. I think the X king is sort of in between mountain king and race king. I.e. it rolls a little better but still has a lot of grip. And the mountain king II has more grip but a higher rolling resistance (aimed more at all mountain?). I haven't tried either of them yet, as I am still on the original mountain king (which by the way is great).

I recently bought a secondhand merida. It's fitted with maxxis crossmark tyres but they need replacing. I need a tyre that is both affordable and a good all-round tyre. So far I've looked at Kenda karma and continental race king tyres, but I really don't know what I should get, any suggestions?

What type of riding do you prefer?

What is important to you? We all want tyres that can do it all, but that is never achievable.

Never skimp on tyres (not on your bike or on your car). Its the only thing on your bike touching the ground and its a surprisingly small patch of it that needs to handle all your riding needs (and often mistakes).

The more aggressive tyre you choose, the quicker they tend to run down when riding on tar.

Here are my 3 favorite front and rear tyres and why:

Front

1. Geax Saguro 2.2 (Bi Directional tread allowing you to change them around for more grip on the front if required, very durable, so worth spending the extra cash on these)

2. Conti Mountain King II 2.2 (Durable tyre and withstands most conditions - my training tyre of choice)

3. Kenda Nevegal (Durable, but on the slow side. My wet weather tyre of choice)

Rear

Geax AKA 2.2 (super fast with plenty of grip, runs off quickly, so not a first choice training tyre)

Conti XKing (Durable and predictable on most surfaces, reasonable wet weather handling unless its a mud bath)

Geax Saguro 2.0 (Best training tyre as they last for ever and have good all round traction and corners well too)

I am not a huge Crossmark / Monorail fan. It does not suite my riding style and the type of races / training rides I do in the Western Cape. These tyres don't like rock gardens or tree roots very much. Not so much an issue if you ride in Gauteng / KZN.

I cannot comment on Schalbe's range as I have not tried them before.

Every single hubber will tell you a different story. There will even be the odd person telling you that the Monorail is rubbush and the Crossmark A1, because he had a sidewall cut with the Monorail (even though the casings are THE SAME)

You will get the rich riding the Schwalbes and just "got to have" guys only riding the newest Ikons or Conti Xkings.

Then you will get the weight weanies with their Maxxis Aspens and Race king Supersonics. Some will go so far as to cut off some of the knobs.

Then you will get the pro's who are sponsored (So they will only have the newest: marketing)

And then you get the rest of us. We ride bikes with HG53 chains and black tires. The tires depend on what you can buy cheap off the hub or that is on special at Chris Willemse. Depending on the experience you have had with the tire, of course.

The only really really rubbish tire I have had was an Intense systems 2. The whole thing came apart (WITH A TUBE) The casing distorted and the rubber seperated from the reinforcement (difficult to explain).

The Karmas are not tough. 3 of my pals have had problems with them. Punctures, casings that rupture, evil bubbles

You will get the Race king/ Mountain king guys.

You will get the Hutch Python guys

You will get the Xmark/Monorail guys.

And somewhere inbetween the Geax okes.

Me? The Xmarks are tough to beat in value for money and they last long. Try it with a Monorail front and Xmark as a back tire (UST). They are not that great in mud, but then what tire is. I did the Sabie X last year on them (and a few other bigger ones) and I will use them again. I have also tried the Race king as a back tire (and I would be less than honest if I tell you that it was better. Same as SB8, Xmark, Larsen TT)

I am past the stage where I will pay half my salary for a Scwalbe that will only last 1000km. Or the newest Conti X King or an Ikon at R600+ a pop. A tire is a tire.