Which MTB to get

Joobs

I am looking to buy a new or second hand mountain bike. I have got a max of R4500 to spend. And while I know this is not a lot, it looks like you can get a descent MTB out there.

I am just starting out so there is no need for MTB with all the bells and whistles. I also dont want to get something that is bottom of the range.

From all the MTB'ers out there, what would you guys suggest?

I am currently living in the Durban area, so if you know of any specials or places please let me know.

In that price range 2nd hand will probably be your best bet, the guys on here 'generally' love the sport and their bikes too, so you can pick up a decent bike for that money... Or else check out the Merida 300s, they are very competant bikes IMO! You're also at the best time, look for Clearance sales of the 2011 range....

This is just my opinion but I'll go for a secondhand bike. This way you can get a better bike that will probably keep you happy for longer. Also I wouldn't buy anything with mechanical discs, I had them once and never again, only gave me problems. The secondhand bike market is a bit slow at the moment so people tend to drop their prices easily. I bought me a secondhand Merida Tfs800 just the other day and managed to get the price down by R1200.

Don't fotget to have a look at Silverback.

Very nice speced bikes for the price!!

I use to have one - never gave any problems!!

Don't fotget to have a look at Silverback.

Very nice speced bikes for the price!!

I use to have one - never gave any problems!!

Thanks guys,

I will look at the Silverback also and hopefully pick up something second hand.

A friend of mine got a descent merida just a few weeks back for just over 2k. The extras on the bike if he had bought new would have cost almost 2k.

I bought a GT Avalanche 3.0 new 7 weeks ago for 5k but it was for an insurance claim and had to get it from a shop otherwise i would have bought second hand as well.

You can pick up a brand new silverback saturn for 4500, a decent bike with hydraulic disc brakes :clap:

I have been riding a Scott Scale 70 since last year april and found a crack in my frame this weekend. I want to upgrade now and get a new bike. I want to switch towards a 29er. but i am not sure where to begin and what to concider. I dont have a big budget and can only afford between something between R7000 and R12000. Any suggestions or tips. or should i save up more and wait, but that will not be ideal!!!!

Edited by Bigon29

You find lots of 2nd hand options, but being new to teh sport and not knowing what to look for in a 2nd hand bike could turn out to be expensive. Road bikes dont get beaten like MTB's so take someone along who knows what to look at.

If you looking at new, Silverbacks are just unbeatable, but there are some other options. For around R7000.00 you really have some nice new bike options. Shop around.