Triathlons Training Ratios

Rolling Thunder

I have started putting in a fair amount of training and would like to ask the following:

if i was equally as strong with each discipline, what ratios should i be training?

Currently the ratio's in Ironman are 1(Swim):11(Run):47(Cycle)

would it make sense to base your training on these numbers?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Need more info..

Are those numbers percentage?

What distance do you race?

Where do you want to place over all / age group?

The numbers are related to the distance that you will do in a half Ironman 21.1km and 90km / 1.9km gives you the figures.

I have just started training for olympic distances and will be doing the half IM in January.

At the moment i just want to finish the races.

This is very interesting. I have never thought of it like that. But if I can say, I think swimming takes more training than running which in turn needs more training than cycling.

But it will be interesting to see what ratio the pro’s do.

Any pro's on here that are willing to share?

Edited by Grondpad

OK assuming you are equally strong in each discipline...

a beginner triathlete should be aiming for,

3 swim sessions

3 bike sessions

3 run sessions

per week.

My week is broken up into,

4 swim sessions

5 bike sessions

5 run sessions

but I race for position.

If you just want to finish the races

3 swim sessions

3 bike sessions

3 run sessions

per week will be enough.

It is an interesting way to look at it, but I am not sure that is entirely correct to go on distance.

Maybe times or expected times would be more accurate? It takes far longer to swim 1km than it does to run 1km and cycling 1km is even quicker. So your ratio would reflect more accurately the time spent on each activity.

I also think it would depend on what your strongest section is. If you are a marathon runner already, you would have the muscle memory for the run and it would be far easier on your body than say the swim.

I think if you do a search on triathlons you may find some training programs which you can get a base plan to tweak. Google Mark Allen, he is former IM winner and has a website with some helpful training advice.

Excuse my ignorance but I still don't understand how the ratio's are worked out? I train quite a lot so am interested to work out the ratio's!

All you are doing is trying to simplify 1.9km swim, 21.1km run and 90km cycle into 'comparable' figures.

So you take the smallest number and divide it into the others:

1.9 / 1.9 = 1

21.1 / 1.9 = 11

90 / 1.9 = 47

I did my first 1/2IM this year (which was my first triathlon too) and my plan on average was the following: 2.5hrs/week Swim, 5.5hrs Cycle and 3 Hrs Run. The important part is to remember to do at least 1 brick session per week. I didnt hit all training targets but I finished quite easily in 61/2hrs. My cycling was the strongest of the 3 disciplines and I have a fair idea of how I am going to reduce my time for next year.

Edited by Mackem

although triathlon is won on the run, a strong bike does make life easier. I would say cycle 50%, run 30-35% and swim the last 15-20%%. That works for me, but then again, I don't win races.

All you are doing is trying to simplify 1.9km swim, 21.1km run and 90km cycle into 'comparable' figures.

So you take the smallest number and divide it into the others:

1.9 / 1.9 = 1

21.1 / 1.9 = 11

90 / 1.9 = 47

oh I see :)

thanks!

although triathlon is won on the run, a strong bike does make life easier. I would say cycle 50%, run 30-35% and swim the last 15-20%%. That works for me, but then again, I don't win races.

+1 I do 50% cycle, 20% swim and 30% running. Where I am in the Ironman standings... not at the front.

Offhand, I was training twice a day for IM.

Monday: PM - Swim

Tuesday: AM - Cycle ; PM Run

Wednesday: AM - Cycle; PM Swim

Thursday: AM - Cycle; PM Run

Friday: AM Cycle; PM Swim

Saturday: AM - Brick Session= - Long Cycle/Short Run; PM Swim

Sunday: AM Long Run

swim x 2 per week

bike x 2 per week and

run x 2 per week.

Use weekends for distance and schooldays for tempo.

Very few people has got the time or energy to do 9 sessions a week.

a triathlete is very rarely equally strong at all 3 disciplines.

Mackem is right, time is far more important than distance!

I apologise for my ignorance, but surely you cant work on time? :unsure:

I can do a 10km run in 50min or 70min, and I will benefit more with the faster time.