Eating too much during Trans?

Azonic

Ok, so I guess this is a ritual that has just grown over the years (5 Trans) to the point where it has gone wrong. Each year I strap a little Profile Design Ironman foodbox to the bike where I put my snacks in. I put a packed snack packet in the bike at the start, and have a new one at each drop box and also get one at each checkpoint where I see my support team. In 2006 when the food packet idea started, I comprised mostly of just Salticracks and and some jelly babies.

A snack packet today usually consists of:

Couple "bok drolle" chocolates

Some jelly babies / Energellies

Some Biltong

Bitesize Jungle Oast Bar

Bitesize Bar One

Small piece USN Protein Bar

So ja, that's what I have on the bike at each check point. While I ride I snack out of the packet. I don't finish everything, maybe half of that. The problem I have is that like lastyear at Bergplaas, and this year at CP3, by the time I get there in the race I'm feeling pretty damn sick. Last year at Bergplaas I had to catch a puke. This year between CP3 and the Mast at the top above Patensie I had to stop and do the same. Thereafter I start feeling lekker again.

So am I eating too much? I'm scared of eating too little...

I've found that anything between 30-60g of carbohydrates per hour of cycling is sufficient. Because the intensity of the Transbaviaans is relatively low, you'll probably rather go for 30-40 g carbs per hour in the first few hours and then up it a little during the last 2-3 hours of the race. Also, why do eat biltong on the ride? It takes a long time to digest as it's mostly protein and makes you feel "heavy". Rather try a peanut butter and syrup sandwich instead. Try to stay away from too much chocolate when you ride. It'll make you spike and then drop again, making you feel lousy on the bike. Rather try bananas and energy bars (pvm, jungle oats, etc.). Your other snacks are on the money!!

Some Biltong

Bitesize Jungle Oast Bar

Bitesize Bar One

For me it would be the mix that would make me feel sick - that list is like the leftovers at a kids' party!

Consider going with fewer, plainer items - e.g. bananas, peanut butter s'wich.

I saw a few okes puking. Most complained of too much gu or sweet stuff. I dig peanuts and raisens to snack on and a peanut butter sarmie. But then again I kakked hard during the TB.

Ok, so I guess this is a ritual that has just grown over the years (5 Trans) to the point where it has gone wrong. Each year I strap a little Profile Design Ironman foodbox to the bike where I put my snacks in. I put a packed snack packet in the bike at the start, and have a new one at each drop box and also get one at each checkpoint where I see my support team. In 2006 when the food packet idea started, I comprised mostly of just Salticracks and and some jelly babies.

Some Biltong

Bitesize Jungle Oast Bar

Bitesize Bar One

So ja, that's what I have on the bike at each check point. While I ride I snack out of the packet. I don't finish everything, maybe half of that. The problem I have is that like lastyear at Bergplaas, and this year at CP3, by the time I get there in the race I'm feeling pretty damn sick. Last year at Bergplaas I had to catch a puke. This year between CP3 and the Mast at the top above Patensie I had to stop and do the same. Thereafter I start feeling lekker again.

How much and what are you drinking before you start feeling sick?

Drinking to much and to high a concentrate can also bring on nausea

Drop the choc's and replace with 4 or 5 baby potatoe's done in salty butter.

I find after 5hrs or so can't handle any more juice. Coke helps then. Much better since I switched to 32gi though. Small packets of cheddars also great

Did our 1st TB - carried boiled baby potatoes(x5) and hard boiled eggs(x3)to munch on. We used the food at the checkpoints but in moderation and as a sweet snack chewed on a packet of jelly babies. Drank 5x750ml bottles of 32Gi and about a litre of water in the camelpak. I try to avoid too much of the party snack pack (sweets and chocolates).

I packed pvm bars and had none....i had one chocolate energy bar at CP 3 i drank oxisport but not a lot maybe 4 bottles (750ml.) but had lots of water and 4 cups of coke.I had one bully beaf and marmite sandwich, a few nuts , an apple and one bananna and then ate what was available at the CP's. At CP 4 i had more sandwiches and did not feel so "sweet" after the event.... thinking back i actualy ate not much , may be i should have push harder :blush:

• 1 year later...

I always carry ham and cheese or chicken mayo rolls (the small one) the breadrolls definately help absorb all the rubbish in your stomach and stop the nausea. that and USN protein bars, and PVM juice. i also eat everything in sight at the checkpoints :)