What Stage Races are awesome!

leeannc

I have been looking around at stage races for 2012 as a challenge for myself, but can't decide ... they all look so nice to do.

Any suggestions for around 2 - 4 days?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how long is a derrailleur cable?

maybe list the ones you're looking at to get an objective answer.

Jo'Burg2C

You ride days 1-4 and rest, then days 5-8 and rest again, after that you do a one day to Scottburgh beach :thumbup:

I have been looking around at stage races for 2012 as a challenge for myself, but can't decide ... they all look so nice to do.

Any suggestions for around 2 - 4 days?

Challenge Capetown should challenge yourself!

Look at the Magalies Adventure - very underrated 3 day race.

Can't agree--totaly over rated. Won't do it again. I always think numbers do the talking and now I know why so little poeple do the Magalies adventure!

Sani2C

Berg,Bush&Decent

J2C

Three Towers

Can't agree--totaly over rated. Won't do it again. I always think numbers do the talking and now I know why so little poeple do the Magalies adventure!

Out of interest, why?

Three Towers will get my vote every time. It is my favorite part of the country. It is also the only one I can afford.

To add a few in the 2-4 days category:

Hell and Back

Grape Escape

Ride the Rhino

Wild Ride

Rhodes Extreme

What makes you think I've been looking into this.

If anyone has gone any, please let us know what they are like.

Work around the following parameters:

- budget: Not just race entry, but accommodation, travel etc play a big part. Local races will end up being much more affordable

- timing of the event: How much leave are you willing to burn to do the race? Is it a relatively "good" time to be away from work. When you need to travel, add 2 days going there and coming back to your leave counter. The time the event is held is (sometimes) a good indicator of the conditions you may experience. I will think twice before considering a multi stage race in the Cape in Feb / Mar. Generally the best window to do a race weather wise is between March and May and then again between September and November.

You will then end up with a short list of events. Then you go into the reputation of the orginisers, previous route comments etc. to make a decision.

To add a few in the 2-4 days category:

Hell and Back

Nothing technical here (no single track etc), lots of climbing. Back2Basics type of race with basic facilities and accommodation.

Grape Escape

Heard good things about this, but being staged in February, the heat may end up overriding your race experience

Ride the Rhino

Small field and was reasonably well orginised. Day 2 had a huge sand pit for about 7kms so make sure you know how to handle this. I had a very bad experience with the same orginisers on the CA2C in Feb where many things went wrong from an event orginising side. I will wait and see what the feedback is on this year's edition of the Rhino before considering this events company again

Wild Ride

On my bucket list

Rhodes Extreme

On my bucket list

What makes you think I've been looking into this.

If anyone has gone any, please let us know what they are like.