Is there benefit in me joining my local club?

Skidmark

I've been cycling for about 3 months now.. In order to get my CSA Licence, I had to join a club and the lady @ Cycling SA recommended I just join "ROAG" - a virtual cycling club.

There is however a local cycling club, The Port Elizabeth Cycling Club.

My question is: Is there a reason why I should/need to join an actual club like PECC, or is ROAG sufficient? What are the benefits of being part of a "real" (so-to-speak) club?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been cycling for about 3 months now.. In order to get my CSA Licence, I had to join a club and the lady @ Cycling SA recommended I just join "ROAG" - a virtual cycling club.

There is however a local cycling club, The Port Elizabeth Cycling Club.

My question is: Is there a reason why I should/need to join an actual club like PECC, or is ROAG sufficient? What are the benefits of being part of a "real" (so-to-speak) club?

ROAG.

Keep it virtual dude. No contest. :thumbup: :D

ROAG.

Keep it virtual dude. No contest. :thumbup: :D

+1

ROAG :thumbup:

There is absolutely NO benefit to join my local club. Besides, they only ride weekends :thumbdown:

ROAG ~ 50 bucks and you're done.

Join a local club ~ R200 or more plus kit plus plus ~ by the time you are done it is a Grand

Edited by Falco

ROAG! No kit (Only if you really want it). No politics. No club rides. No problem!

You wear what you want to, you ride with your mates and you get a CSA Licence. :clap:

It depends on you.

We are a few guys of the club that train togetherand our club has another ride on Sundays.

When still in Gauteng I was part of a club where we got a monthly newsletter with results and happenings of people in the club.

It makes it a bit more social but of course if you are a group of friensds that ride together , you do not really need to make it official.

Edited by Cheese

Depends on the Club, down here we have tygerberg that maintains 80km of singletrack, has coaching sessions, do club rides and night rides, etc, the last reason i had to join them what to get the money grubbing CSA license.

Though admittedly 90% of other clubs are just there to make money themselves. But check what the local clubs have to offer.

Masters and Ladies Club in PE charges R450.00 for the year. For that money, you get to participate in 20 organised races. Other clubs charge the same and you get precious little.

There are at least 7 or 8 clubs in PE. The one you mentioned is mostly involved with track cycling.

If you are over 30, Masters and Ladies is your best option.

www.masterspe.co.za

Masters and Ladies is an awesome club to belong to and you really do get allot for your money. I belong to both Masters and Ladies and NMMU cycling club. Cool thing about NMMU is they offer a backup vehicle and to enter races like the winter league for instance they pay your entry fee if they enter the team. So the best of both worlds....

Edited by wisecrack

Masters and Ladies Club in PE charges R450.00 for the year. For that money, you get to participate in 20 organised races. Other clubs charge the same and you get precious little.

There are at least 7 or 8 clubs in PE. The one you mentioned is mostly involved with track cycling.

If you are over 30, Masters and Ladies is your best option.

www.masterspe.co.za

Masters and Ladies is an awesome club to belong to and you really do get allot for your money. I belong to both Masters and Ladies and NMMU cycling club. Cool thing about NMMU is they offer a backup vehicle and to enter races like the winter league for instance they pay your entry fee if they enter the team. So the best of both worlds....

Thanks to both of you... With my current n00b status I'll stick with ROAG for now and later if I'm looking for something more competitive etc, I'll check out Masters.. Thanks!

Safety in numbers. I'd go with a club like Cycle Lab just for the sake of being able to ride as a large group. No ones gonna try hijack you. If you have any mechanical issues, punctures etc there's always the backup van. Yes this costs you R400 a year but its kinda like an insurance policy of sorts and yes its sociable.

+1

ROAG :thumbup:

There is absolutely NO benefit to join my local club. Besides, they only ride weekends :thumbdown:

What about getting a nickname ?