Argus bike transport

chris_w_65

What do Elliot charge to take your bike to and from the Argus?

How long before do you have to drop it off?

How long before you get the bike back?

about 800 odd and you generally drop of during the week before and pick up during the week after.

if you dont pick up before a certain date they charge storage of around 50 bucks a day

about 800 odd and you generally drop of during the week before and pick up during the week after.

if you dont pick up before a certain date they charge storage of around 50 bucks a day

It is R750.00 to Amashova, I expect Argus would be more than R800.00 :unsure:

If you are going to fly down, the airlines will ship it back & forth 4 free.

So why do so many people use the Elliot option? Especially since it will leave them without a bike for 2 weeks :unsure:

Is your bike safe with the airlines?

Edited by chris_w_65

I am trying to work out which is more cost effective and convenient, obviously flying has advantages but driving down with 4 people + trailer + bikes doesn't sound like a bad option. Saves 2x collections of bike, 2x drop off of bike, no hire car needed in CT, won't be without bike for 2 weeks. Long drive though :thumbdown: Driving could be shared and maybe accommodation too

Edited by chris_w_65

Its a hellav drive, even as a pax. Okay if you going on holiday for three weeks, but for a long weekend or even a week, not worth the stress, danger and speeding tickets outside every stupid dorp with a 60 sign. That flight ticket is money well spent. And book now for the cheaper tickets.

Yes the airlines look after your bikes, they all have it all sussed. Just pack it well. Some don't even do that, at the least I would bubble-wrap the frame. I've done it 10 times (other one time I flew down there myself with the bike in the back of a Piper PA-28 Cherokee with a mate who threw up the whole time (and chickened out flying back with me lol)

Its a hellav drive, even as a pax. Okay if you going on holiday for three weeks, but for a long weekend or even a week, not worth the stress, danger and speeding tickets outside every stupid dorp with a 60 sign. That flight ticket is money well spent. And book now for the cheaper tickets.

Yes the airlines look after your bikes, they all have it all sussed. Just pack it well. Some don't even do that, at the least I would bubble-wrap the frame. I've done it 10 times (other one time I flew down there myself with the bike in the back of a Piper PA-28 Cherokee with a mate who threw up the whole time (and chickened out flying back with me lol)

I guess if getting the bike there and back is included then the air fare is quite reasonable

F_R_A_I_L cycles to Jhb and back, that makes doing it in a car seem very do-able, lol

Make that CT - LTT - CT that F_R_A_I_L does so Jhb - CT - Jhb must be a walk in the park :lol:

Guest Frail4Life

Kulula wants R1800.00 after my 30% Vitality discount. Is that what I should expect to pay?

For Hubbers I will ONLY charge, R1200.

Your bike will also be Serviced for No Charge.

yeah could be a bit more, didnt think, our transport was from durban :/ so id def bank on a bit more then

i must add tho my 2 friends flew bikes down and they were well handled and didnt have any issues with the bikes, altho i have heard some horror stories

Most airlines make taking bikes free over the Argus period. We flew down two years ago and took the bikes in bike bags. No damage but I had to have a look at the rear deraileur alignment, nothing major though.

The drive down also isn't too bad, as long as you're there for long enough. I wont drive if I'm just there for the weekend.

My son,ex and myself fly regularly between CT and Lanseria with Kulula

Use a bike box and tape up well.

Travel light and you will get away with no charge or minimal.They are not unreasonable.

The flights are cheap if you book in advance and make driving not an option.Stay in town and you will not need transport.Hotels have courtesy bus.Planning is the key.

If I am going for a week or two I drive.Stay in Calvinia in the way down and Kuruman on the way up.

Lovely drive and scenery.Listen to lots of Pink Floyd. :thumbup:

Edited by Kranswurm