Life Cycle at the Labia

Chubba

Went to the Labia tonight (keep it clean) to watch the Life Cycle feature.

A couple issues:

1. The tickets said the film started at 7.00pm, it started at 8.30pm. Not cool if you have planned you evening around this (especially if one has kids).

2. 30 minutes of advertisement type shorts, although some interesting, seemed like an excessive filler/time waster.

3. The 1 hour feature had awesome cinematography and riding, but was not very interesting. The riding shots although very arty and skillful, left me a tad bored towards the end.

4. To be honest i feel a little raped of R65, not worth the money in my humble opinion. I could download clips off Pinkbike that would be more entertaining.

Edited by Chubba

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to the Labia tonight (keep it clean) to watch the Life Cycle feature.

A couple issues:

1. The tickets said the film started at 7.00pm, it started at 8.30pm. Not cool if you have planned you evening around this (especially if one has kids).

The Jozi event (Saturday) was slated to start at 6.30, but that was for drinkies and snacks, and the feature to start at 8. We got off a little late, but that was more the fault of the typical mountain bikers, who were hanging around at the pub.

2. 30 minutes of advertisement type shorts, although some interesting, seemed like an excessive filler/time waster.

I enjoyed those! Especially Gary Perkins' Morewood film and the Bicycle Protraits mini-doccie.

3. The 1 hour feature had awesome cinematography, but was not very interesting. The riding shots although very arty, left me somewhat bored.

Personal preference, I guess. Sure, it wasn't a balls-to-the-wall, all-action, frantic, NWD-type effort, but I found the change of pace and theme refreshing. The effects and editing were awesome.

4. To be honest i feel a little raped of R65, not worth the money in my humble opinion. I could download clips off Pinkbike that would be more entertaining.

I thought the R70 (well, R210, as I took my sons along) was well-spent. For me, it was more about the event - excellent pizzas at The Bioscope, the Robson's beer-tasting, the well-stocked fridge of other craft beers, catching up with riding buddies, watching a movie I'd already seen on DVD on the big screen, meeting James Walsh (see pic below taken by Danger Dassie and more here: TREAD album) - the dude behind Sinamatella, playing with fire in the street after the event, my eldest son "nicking" some streetkid's skateboard, etc, etc. I'll be back for 360 Life, and, hopefully when he gets his paws on 3 Minute Gaps.

post-1604-0-70968800-1313638429.jpg

Went to the Durbs screening. We (MTB mates and current wives) all enjoyed it. All left saying we can do that on our bikes, just dont want to. :lol: Seriously those boys can operate, makes the dropoffs that we ride look a bit naf. Hows the one jump over that cut off tree. Can bleed doing that..

Is that seriously the name of the theatre in CT ? Goodness me.

Is that seriously the name of the theatre in CT ? Goodness me.

:lol:

I knew peeps wouldn't be able to leave that one alone. I seem to remember something about it taking its name from an Italian princess called Labia.

:lol:

I knew peeps wouldn't be able to leave that one alone. I seem to remember something about it taking its name from an Italian princess called Labia.

I just cant be mature about the name of the place...

Off tonight to watch it.

Cant wait!

Do we need to eat before we pitch up, or is there enough snacks to constitute dinner?

I just watched the 3 Minute Gaps trailer again. Looking forward to watching that!

Any idea on when the 360Life movie will come out?

I just cant be mature about the name of the place...

Off tonight to watch it.

Cant wait!

Do we need to eat before we pitch up, or is there enough snacks to constitute dinner?

Sinamatella posted something about gourmet baquettes being on offer before the screening.

Enjoy!

Whats pink and next to the Labia?

Mount Nelson!

Going tonight. If the food is crap there is food/s in Kloof street.

I have tickets available for tonight's screening as some mates bailed / fell ill. PM me if you're interested or know of anyone who might be.

TW summed it up, thought it was brilliant on many levels.

Not everyone will agree I suppose, but I'll wager that the majority feel it was well worth the watch!

Got this via email:

Hi there,

Thanks for purchasing tickets to our screening of Life Cycles this evening at the Labia Theatre on Orange.

We had a little confusion last night around the starting time of the screening. So apologies for the intrusion but just want to make sure we don't frustrate anyone this evening.

Delicious local beer and yummy gourmet baguettes as well as the usual Labia fare (wine, coffee, soft-drinks and popcorn) will be available from 7pm this evening. So you can catch up with mates and plan the next adventure.

And then we will take our seats at 8.20pm for the screening. Running time is around 85 minutes including prize give-aways.

So PLEASE pass this onto anyone who is attending tonight and might not know the times.

Look forward to hosting you this evening!

Thanks very much,

James.

PS Here's some nice background to the film from the guys at Wired.