Random Tech Question

The OriginalSpartacus

So during my ride last night I got to wondering some pretty random stuff (as what usually happens when I ride on my own) and I got to thinking,

Why is the drive train (cranks, chain, cassette etc.) on the right hand side of the bike?

I mean was just put there cause the first guy liked it there or is there an intelligent reason to having it on the right hand side?

I think the tumbling weed is correct about that.

I want to know, on non-cheap brake arches (talking road bikes here) why do the cables feed on the left and on cheap BSOs the cable feeds on the right.

Think is was first put there and nobody everbothered to change it!

Maybe things will start to change, I have seen BMX bikes with the drive train on the left hand side so you can grind better on the right.

Think is was first put there and nobody everbothered to change it!

Maybe things will start to change, I have seen BMX bikes with the drive train on the left hand side so you can grind better on the right.

that's what I was thinking but with all the tech advances over the years, surely if there was an advantage of having it on the left they would've come up with it by now...

At the time they could only cut normal thread - not reverse threat.

Also - traditionally you "mount" - I see whats going to happen here - from the left.

Those 2 reasons led to the drive train being on the right.

No bull***t!