How do you build a floating bridge?

crashtestdummy

So I'm organising a small fun ride in a months time and would like to put a floating bridge (Farmer Glen style)over a dam, anyone know how they do it at Sani2C?

Maybe the first step is to post this message under Tech Q&A, or Engineering sub-forum in Chit-Chat, as it may not get much attention under Training & Nutrition. Not many calories in a floating bridge, tho' I have expended many retrieving myself from out of the water when things went wrong.

So I'm organising a small fun ride in a months time and would like to put a floating bridge (Farmer Glen style)over a dam, anyone know how they do it at Sani2C?

Nice question!! +1

I'd also like to know the intricasies..as this is still something i'd like to do on Lourensford...where we got some tracks...I want to leave my 'legacy' so to speak!!

:D

Not going to as easy as it looks then. @ geecee with my bridge being in a dam the support structure they talk about in the article seems a bit of an overkill, do you know what the lighter option would be ?

They are constructed from pallets (I think) so there is your first step, get a lot of pallets.

Then you need to link them, and float them. start maaking a plan

Large diamater flexable hose should do both, but will cost a lot

a floating dock that was at hazelmere dam many moons ago, well we happened to up end the bladdy thing being the teenagers we were at the time

it had a basic steel frame with wood on top, covered with felt in this case, underneath it had big chunks of polystyrene, it was pretty buoyant and would prob do the job

but each piece of poly was about 1000mmx500mmx500mm and that went to each section of the jetty.

it'd need some trial and error to get the balance point right between too buoyant and not

Wooden pallets fixed ontop of those blue plastic drums. You can then partially fill the drums to lower it and get some stability. We built one as kids and it worked out great!