The DH seat Height Debarcle

nigelhicks

As this was spoken about on the "Post your All Mountain Bike" thread - i thought id start its own Thread.

Everyone says that you need to have you seat low for DH ... well this dowsnt seem to be that true as look at Peaty's set up for Val Di Sole this weekend - this is one of teh ROUGHEST and Steepest tracks on the circut - but his seat height is in line with his bars!!! (and his bars are high as it is cus they are spacered up)

- How high do you run your seat on your DH or AM bike? theres a good question

post-16861-0-24232500-1313665669.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As this was spoken about on the "Post your All Mountain Bike" thread - i thought id start its own Thread.

Everyone says that you need to have you seat low for DH ... well this dowsnt seem to be that true as look at Peaty's set up for Val Di Sole this weekend - this is one of teh ROUGHEST and Steepest tracks on the circut - but his seat height is in line with his bars!!! (and his bars are high as it is cus they are spacered up)

I thought DH seats were low so you didn't bash your elbows on the way up?

NIGE !

DEBACLE - sorry can't help it :)

Need I point out good sir.

Peaty is this VVVVV tall ! :D

post-20304-0-29873900-1313666228.jpg

Edited by The Drongo

I thinks it depends on how much pedaling needs to be done on course.

Ya Andre ... most guys would think that - but there is literally ZERO pedalling on this track - there is one little bridge you have to ride over thats flat - and then its the finish straight - thats it ... the rest is just hang on for dear life ... 90% of the track is at 35 deg slope angle .... its MAD - and Peaty has his seat that high!

Mr Minn does too!

Ya Andre ... most guys would think that - but there is literally ZERO pedalling on this track - there is one little bridge you have to ride over thats flat - and then its the finish straight - thats it ... the rest is just hang on for dear life ... 90% of the track is at 35 deg slope angle .... its MAD - and Peaty has his seat that high!

Mr Minn does too!

Any pics of them riding like that? My suspicion would be that this is just-put-together, for the photograph, before rider setup was done.

Any pics of them riding like that? My suspicion would be that this is just-put-together, for the photograph, before rider setup was done.

im looking now - but i know for a fact that the setup is done once and they dont just throw a bike together and then set it up - as it built its set up to the riders spec immediately!

im looking now - but i know for a fact that the setup is done once and they dont just throw a bike together and then set it up - as it built its set up to the riders spec immediately!

I hear ya, but my guess is that Santa Cruz got the mechanics to throw it together for a press photo or three, and then get on with the job of getting it read for Peat.

Damned nice looking DH bike!

Guest Omega Man

For the record that's Greg Minnaars bike.

Minnaar runs a Gammut chain guide. Peat an e13.

Did they run them that high with dropper posts in PMB Nigel? Must have looked a little odd.

Edited by Omega Man

debacle for sure.

but frankly, this is another highly subjective topic as rider anatomy is not standard by any means. In general, I'd reckon the rule of thumb would be that if you can clear easily clear your saddle when leaning back, then that's your height. Any interference and you need to dial it down a tad.

in fact, it's not even a debacle at all. Spinning the excitement factor are you nige? ;)

Damned nice looking DH bike!

Yup. Don't like the look of a lot of the DH bikes (all Intense and Morewood bikes excluded of course :D ), but this is a very sleek looking thing.

ok found some from fort bill with FULL race set ups ... these were taken as the riders got onto the gondola to go do their timed practice - so there is no mechs with them - these are their seat heights

Gwin - HIGH

http://dirt.mpora.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/aaron-gwin.jpg

Fairclough - Medium

http://dirt.mpora.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/brendan-fairclough.jpg

Dan - low

http://dirt.mpora.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Dan-Atherton.jpg

Pottie - low

http://dirt.mpora.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/IMG_4633.jpg

Peaty - high

http://dirt.mpora.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/steve-peat.jpg

Mr Minn - high

http://dirt.mpora.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/greg-minnaar.jpg

Edited by nigelhicks

in fact, it's not even a debacle at all. Spinning the excitement factor are you nige? ;)

hahahah - no it was actually just a Choon @ Grb who was saying you cant ride steep stuff with your seat up! :P :P :P :P hahahahha

Well I fitted a collapsible seat post on my 'AM' bike, it makes a great difference for belting down single track like 'Daggapad'. At PMB this year I saw a few guys had the like, helped to sit down with all that pedalling?

Edited by kosmonooit

Guest Omega Man

Yeah I've got one on my DH bike. It's cos I do 80% of my riding at Tokai where you have to pedal or push up. I got gatvol of pushing up.