nigelhicks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to add to the "debacle"

Seat Size?

Weve seen the trends from massive mx style seats decrease in size to tiny xc style.

I see some of the riders above use tiny thin seats, while others the fatter standard seats.

Why the difference?

Guest Omega Man

Actually. If you look at the photo's the seat height is pretty much the same for everyone relative to the riders height. (about the top of the hip bone)

With Dan Atherton being the exception.

Actually. If you look at the photo's the seat height is pretty much the same for everyone relative to the riders height. (about the top of the hip bone)

With Dan Atherton being the exception.

I was using the line of thin bricks in the wall behind as a reference for height ... but as you say its all relative to your height ... and leg length ... but is it just me or does Gwins seat look higher than everyone else in relation to his body height??

Maybe its the difference between the wannabes and the pros. The pros do what works for them, and the wannabes have a preconceived idea of what a cool dh bike looks like.

Guest Omega Man

I was using the line of thin bricks in the wall behind as a reference for height ... but as you say its all relative to your height ... and leg length ... but is it just me or does Gwins seat look higher than everyone else in relation to his body height??

Ja but he doesn't count. He's a Ranga. Just joking.

So the 2 exceptions are Gwin and Dan Atherton.

Gwin is easy. He comes from an MX backround and those things are tall.

With Atherton my theory is that he is a 4x racer

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Maybe its the difference between the wannabes and the pros. The pros do what works for them, and the wannabes have a preconceived idea of what a cool dh bike looks like.

HUH?

Could it be that the seat actually lowers with the sag to below handlebar height? Surely they run more sag than your average XC racer? On 'n 8 inch bike 25% sag is actually 2 inches. So the seat will be almost 5 cm lower once they get on the bike.

Or am I barking at the wrong branch?

to add to the "debacle"

Seat Size?

Weve seen the trends from massive mx style seats decrease in size to tiny xc style.

I see some of the riders above use tiny thin seats, while others the fatter standard seats.

Why the difference?

i think it's all subjective: if it works for you, then it works for you. who cares what the other guy has. speed and confidence on the bike are two sides of the same coin. So if a tall but fat saddle makes all warm and fuzzy inside, then thats exactly what you need.

I used to have a WTB saddle that was a bit wider than the current SDG, and it nearly buttshoved me over the bars. Granted, i'm probably exaggerating the actual effect, but I was properly sketched out. so narrow and low works for me.

im one of those "less is more" guys.

Really like the "look" ove the low profile seats, plust it shaves a few grams, lol.

But seriously, I think the low profile seat makes sense, we hardly on the seat. Its really just there to grab with your knees on big jumps and prevent your bum from scraping the back tire on big drops...

Om looking for a new seat now. BUt price wise, MTB seat prices are ridicoulous!! Why are good BMX seats so much cheaper.

Want to get the Giant fade seat and its only R180!

Guest Omega Man

im one of those "less is more" guys.

Really like the "look" ove the low profile seats, plust it shaves a few grams, lol.

But seriously, I think the low profile seat makes sense, we hardly on the seat. Its really just there to grab with your knees on big jumps and prevent your bum from scraping the back tire on big drops...

Om looking for a new seat now. BUt price wise, MTB seat prices are ridicoulous!! Why are good BMX seats so much cheaper.

Want to get the Giant fade seat and its only R180!

I've got a Selle Italia roadie seat on my dh bike. love it. It's super thin and has lasted 3 years and looks like it's gonna last another 3. Oh. and I got it for free from a mate/fashionwhore who got one of those i-beam jobs.

I've got a Selle Italia roadie seat on my dh bike. love it. It's super thin and has lasted 3 years and looks like it's gonna last another 3. Oh. and I got it for free from a mate/fashionwhore who got one of those i-beam jobs.

Nick?

Guest Omega Man

No Theo. He's the guy with the Sick Ass Makulu that never gets ridden.

How come they don't have to have level saddles? doesn't the UCI govern these dope smokers?

Sort of like pro mtber's don't use camelbags, but all the funrider wannabes do?

How come they don't have to have level saddles? doesn't the UCI govern these dope smokers?

Because there is no law against having your saddle tilted ... and if you put the bike onto a 20 deg slope facing downhill the saddle will be level .... :thumbup: hahaha