Training in Ramadaan

Oltremo

Slm, Any of my muslim brothers training during the Fast. What is working for you? And how are you finding it.

I have taken the first 2 weeks off the bike totally. Started doing some light core exercises in morning before Sehri. This week I got back on bike. Did 1 hr easy ride in morning after Sehri and 1 hr easy ride before Iftar. Managed quite well considering. Did not feel thirsty etc. The day after I felt very tired though.

Will try a 1.5hr ride on sat morning after Sehri. Will keep hr 55-65% (low intensity)

I have a mate who rides 3hr plus hard, hilly rides during the fast. He's a bit special though. I don't know how he gets through the day afterwards.

I have a mate who rides 3hr plus hard, hilly rides during the fast. He's a bit special though. I don't know how he gets through the day afterwards.

..mmmh, that must be the mad Hoosain !

I am not Muslim but I fast according to my religion and I must agree with you on the following day being quite tired. on the plus side it helps with cutting those last few pounds :)

I am riding to work and back so morning and afternoon ride.

Having no issues, initially went nice and slow just spinning the legs, at this stage I feel no different to my rides before the fast actually.

Find that I can push for certain stints.

Also going to start with longer weekend ride this week, I have kept it to relatively short distances though.

I find I actually feel better on the days I cycle have much more energy than on those days I dont.

I am riding to work and back so morning and afternoon ride.

Having no issues, initially went nice and slow just spinning the legs, at this stage I feel no different to my rides before the fast actually.

Find that I can push for certain stints.

Also going to start with longer weekend ride this week, I have kept it to relatively short distances though.

I find I actually feel better on the days I cycle have much more energy than on those days I dont.

Nice one Spat. Enjoy the weekend ride.

buddy of mine shared his system with me when i asked him the same question. in essence he rides late afternoons before breaking fast and watches his intensity like a hawk to prevent bonking.

sometimes after his evening meals he then spends time on the IDT.

it's a little more complicated than what i laid out here, but respect where it's due, can't be easy!

I posted in this thread:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/106626-a-special-note-to-the-muslim-riders/page__pid__1466408#entry1466408

this from a Muslim who will compete in the Olympics next year during Ramadan. He also is s Sport Scientist and wrote his thesis on training whilst Fasting.

Interesting reading:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21128253.800-how-muslims-can-win-olympic-gold-during-ramadan.html

Its a month of sacrifice...unless your family depends on the income from your cycling......you should no be doing it

Its a month of sacrifice...unless your family depends on the income from your cycling......you should no be doing it

I have to disagree with you.

Its entirely up to the individual himself if he wants to stop cycling for Ramadaan.

Certain Hadith actually recommend light exercise.