Garmin Edge 200 released

Tankman

"The Edge 200 was designed for those budget conscious cyclists looking for the basics — speed, distance, time and calories,”

No Heart Rate or Cadence sensors,"plug & play" outa the box.

Suggested retail around $149.99.

post-4352-0-95747800-1313671101.jpg

Looks a lot like the Bryton Gps, not sure who is copying who anymore!

Cool so if it works off speed and distance i'll really burn up calories riding the gautrain with it switched on :D

I like it for MTB, not interested in cadence or HR but if i want HR i have a HR watch

Edited by scotty

This device's place in the market makes no sense to me. It will be interesting to gauge it's popularity.

We actually discussed calorie calculations in another thread earlier today.

The 305/705 uses an older duration based calculation. You can basically switch the unit on, press start and leave it on your desk for an hour and you'll see the calorie counter climb. I presume the 200 will be using a that type of calculation, its not very accurate, but then again the whole calorie consumption calculation is based on averages!

The 500/800 uses a newer calculation and is more accurate but still based on averages.

Might be a stupid question - but will you be able to upload your routes onto your PC and vice-versa? And will you be able to get data such as climbing and gradient etc?

This device's place in the market makes no sense to me. It will be interesting to gauge it's popularity.

Looking at recommended retail, these should be selling at around R1000, make sense to me if you want to capture your buyer early and get him brand loyal.

The 500 base model sells for around R1800, add HR & cadence and your looking at R2400. That is quite a lot for some just looking for the basics. (The basics these days are not an old cat eye wired computer anymore, if you want to play with the cool kids, you want do download your route, profile & elevation stats and send it to your mates).

The 200 will offer the same route, profiling, gps tracking and stats in software like SportTrack & GarminDisconnects, than its big brother the 500, all thats missing is the HR, cadence and power meter.

Rather get your buyers to buy a chaeper model than let them buy another brand, makes sense to me.